Sun Sims Forums

Sun Sims Forums (http://www.sunsims.com/forums/index.php)
-   Help Desk (http://www.sunsims.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Teleport Folder Not Teleporting! (http://www.sunsims.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683)

Zirconia Wolf 05-11-2008 01:24 PM

Teleport Folder Not Teleporting!

Alrighty, what gives?

I am trying to add Thomas & his pal Lycos back into my game & no dice. I have tried installing them (via Sims 2 Pack Clean Installer) no less than 5 times in a row now & nada: the files that Clean Installer sends to the Teleport folder refuse to leave that folder. The just sit there laughing at me as I boot, boot & reboot my @#$% game.

The files in the pack include:

Lot Segment for upload
Family Segment for upload
Thomas
Lycos
Lycos's collar
An alphabet soup file that is really Lyco's custom dog tag

Anyone have any suggestions? (I have installed Thomas, Lycos & their house every time I have reinstalled back up to Pets, & there has never been a problem before. )

-ZW

Greg 05-11-2008 03:16 PM

I'm not an expect on what happens in the Teleport folder, but I'll guess that as the game loads, it picks up files there and puts them where they're supposed to be.

If that's how it works, then: Have you checked to make sure that the Teleport folder is not set to be read only?

Hokieman 05-11-2008 04:01 PM

For some reason, some lots simply will not install with clean installer. You have to use the installer that came with the game. Just go to the file type tab to set the sims2pack folders back to the installer.

From an open directory, click Tools, then Folder Options, then the File Types tabe. Look for the Sims2pack file type, Click change and then reset it to The Sims2 Body Shop Package Installer. You may have to search for it in the Sims2 folders.

Once you're done, then repeat and set it back to clean installer.

I'm assuming here that you're running XP. For Vista, I've no clue.

Greg 05-11-2008 10:27 PM

Hmm... it might work to just right-click on that one file, choose "Open with...", and then hunt down The Sims 2 Body Shop Package Installer. If that works, it would leave the default set to Clean Installer.

I just now gave it a shot with a familiar subject.

1. Open the file with something else.

That's Hokieman's "Converted Power Plant" lot.

2. Choose Package Installer.

Note the directory path. I selected the Package Installer program found under "The Sims 2." There was also a Package Installer program under "Open For Business." I don't know if I should have used that one.

3. Let it install.

I let it go ahead. It said the installation was successful but when I looked in my Teleport folder, it was empty. I don't yet know for sure that it worked. :thinking:

Zirconia Wolf 05-12-2008 01:36 PM

Hey thanks for the advise!

You were right; using the "original" packing program to install Thomas & Lycos proved to be the answer. The freaky part is I can't remember if I had to do that before for them or not...I hate my muddy memory! :asking06:

It's been my experience that the Teleport folder holds Lots & Body Shop type stuff temporarily & installs them the next time you launch the game. Decorative stuff & the like seem to just get shot strait into the Downloads folder, which is why I tend to install that stuff one-at-a-time; I hate "alphabet soup" file names & one-at-a-time installation lets me create sub folders with actual NAMES on them to slip those soupy files into.

-ZW

Greg 05-12-2008 04:54 PM

That's a good idea! I had never thought of creating subfolders to keep track of what those hexadecimal filenames were all about.

Miros1 05-12-2008 06:43 PM

In general, you should use your newest version of the Maxis utilities (PackageInstaller and BodyShop).

Greg 05-12-2008 10:42 PM

Yeah. I still haven't started up my game to see if Hokieman's power plant installed correctly.

Zirconia Wolf 05-13-2008 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miros1 (Post 8419)
In general, you should use your newest version of the Maxis utilities (PackageInstaller and BodyShop).

How can I be sure that I am using the newest utility installation? Will the new one be used automatically or...?

-ZW

Greg 05-13-2008 05:56 PM

If you end up browsing for it, then it would be the one in the folder for your latest expansion pack.

That would be in C:\\Program Files\EA Games\(expansion pack)\CSBin\

Miros1 05-13-2008 09:29 PM

The link for the newest BodyShop is right in the submenu (Start->All Programs->EA Games->The Sims 2 (expansion or stuff pack)).

Greg 05-14-2008 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miros1 (Post 8429)
The link for the newest BodyShop is right in the submenu (Start->All Programs->EA Games->The Sims 2 (expansion or stuff pack)).

I don't see a link the installer from there. :thinking:

Miros1 05-14-2008 03:57 AM

That's because the Maxis Installer is only run from the context menu of a packaged item.

Greg 05-14-2008 11:02 AM

Got it. So if you want to run the Maxis Package Installer, you still have to browse for it.

Miros1 05-14-2008 02:41 PM

To make sure, yes. You can't do a "properties" on a context menu item that I can see.

Greg 05-14-2008 05:00 PM

Why would you want to look at properties?

Miros1 05-14-2008 09:24 PM

To look at the link that the context menu item was associated with. I.e. to make sure it really was using the newest utility.

Greg 05-15-2008 12:51 AM

Oh, I get it. If you traverse the trajectory tree while you're browsing, that ought to do it, too. :thinking:

Hokieman 05-16-2008 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg (Post 8422)
Yeah. I still haven't started up my game to see if Hokieman's power plant installed correctly.

Greg, did you get it to install? just curious.

Greg 05-16-2008 01:40 AM

Oops! Would you believe I haven't started up my game since I did that installation? :laugh:

Last weekend my air conditioner failed and that turned into more drama that I ever could have imagined, and then this week I've been spending a lot of extra time on my day job; and that all adds up to never having enough time at my machine start up the game.

I just might get a chance to try it tonight, though.