View Single Post
Old 09-27-2007, 01:22 AM   #93
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

I'm having a great time! This new Orion spacecraft is going to be great! I wish to goodness we could get it flying sooner so that there won't be a lapse after the Space Shuttle retires in 2010, but the days of Apollo-era funding for NASA ended even before Neil and Buzz made those famous footprints.

I've been face down in Orion since Monday, trying to get caught up with the rest of the team and at the same time get myself wired into a whole new company.

One of the interesting features of Orion's lunar missions is almost a page right out of the Artemis Data Book. When they get to the moon, they will leave Orion to take care of itself in lunar orbit and the whole crew of four will descend to the lunar surface in the lander. The incredible advances in automation since the Apollo era make this possible.

For missions to the International Space Station, Orion can carry a crew of six. It's cozy; rather reminds me of stuffing six people into a six-passenger sedan; but that's all you need when you're just going to rendezvous with a fully equipped space station.