Thread: Edouard
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Just so you'll know what's on my mind when I wake up at 4:30 in the morning...

They haven't updated the predicted storm track since late last night.

Based on the animated radar they are showing on The Weather Channel right now, it looks like the storm will come aground east of Galveston Bay. (That's the little notch next to the star that shows where we are. The star is actually a bit too far north.)

That's good for us because it means we'll be on the dry side of the storm. The storm rotates counter-clockwise so it picks up water on its east side and dumps it onto the land. The winds on the west side, where I expect we'll be, are the much dryer returning winds. Unless the storm is really well organized, the west side winds are also wimpier.

The storm is just skipping along the coast and slowing down.

Slowing down is not good. The longer the storm spends over water, the more energy it takes up. On the other hand, wimpy storms are good because they cool off the Gulf of Mexico so that there isn't as much energy for later storms. These storms are Mother Nature's way of moving energy from the tropics to the Frozen Waste of the North.

The storm is nicely soaking the coast east of here but so far in El Lago, the only evidence of anything unusual (that I can reasonably detect in my bathrobe) is the quiet. There's usually some traffic noise and a breeze ruffling the trees, but for both, it's the calm before the storm.