View Single Post
Old 08-13-2008, 03:37 AM   #4
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

(I had to delete a few messages here, so let's see if we can get this back on track.)

If syphilis had existed in Europe in pre-Columbian times, there would be a heck of a lot more documenation for it than a sentence about veneral disease from an ancient Greek writer (several veneral diseases have been known in Europe throughout recorded history) and a few pits on one bone from 1500 years later and more than a thousand miles away; and there would not be a huge body of writing about the strange new veneral disease that spread from European seaports after the discovery of the new world.

I don't know the origin of this notion that syphilis did not originate in the New World, but this is the first I have ever heard of it. For what it's worth, even now one of Melva's avocations is epidemiology (she studied microbiology in college), and she has never heard of it, either.

But hey, if anyone wants to believe something that somebody wrote on the Internet in preference to hundreds of years of medical investigations, you are most welcome to your beliefs! You know I'm not one to argue with other people's religious beliefs as long as they don't try to promote them on my little board.

Last edited by Greg : 08-13-2008 at 03:45 AM.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote