View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 02:01 AM   #33
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 32: The Bennetts Go To College

"OK, Honey," She said. "The van is on its way and the kids are all packed up! We're ready to go!"

"Great!" Greg said. "I'll call for a car--"

"Oops! No, not a car. Call for the chopper."

"What? The heliocoffin? I don't recall there being a helipad anywhere near the university, and if we got to the airfield it's just as far to drive as it would be from here."

"Just trust me on this one," She said.

"OK, you're the boss!" Hoo boy! I get into more trouble that way!

"What was that?"

"I didn't say anything!"

"No, but you thought it!"

"Oh, for pity's sake. Is this mind-reading a Captain Hero thing?"

"No, it's a blonde thing. Now, just call the chopper! I want you to see the new house while it's still daylight!"

Farewell to Manse Orleans

And so, with a hug and kiss for Giles and Frieda, the Bennetts piled the kids into the helicopter and bid a fond farewell to the stately grace of Manse Orleans. Alexander and Amanda were especially subdued. They gazed wistfully out the windows as the helicopter lifted off.

Greg leaned close to Her and whispered, "Are the kids OK?"

"It's the only home they've ever known," She said. "They'll need some time to adjust."

"Yeah," he said. "Me, too."

"You're not alone. Our kids were born in that house. We got married there! Memories run deep--"

"I know, sweetheart," he said, holding her close. "Good memories. Lots of good memories."

She chuckled. "Remember the hookers in the basement?"

"OK, so not all good memories--"

"Oh, I thought they were cute. I just didn't want them in my basement!"

"So, tell me about our new place! You've been so mysterious about it--"

"Nope, not until we get there. I want you to see it for yourself."

As the helicopter lifted over the mountain ridge south of town, Happy Valley's university district lay spread out before them. They followed the main road toward the university for a few minutes and then began to veer west as they descended.

Greg craned his neck, gawking like a tourist. "This is the first time I've seen the Big U from the air. Hey! There's the engineering building! Worth every penny I spent on it! So, which one is ours?"

"Do you see the girls' house just ahead?"

"Yup. From up here it looks even more like home. I kinda wish we could just move in there, but I don't want to crowd the girls."

"OK, look one block west. See the helipad?"

He looked. The helipad grew larger in the windshield as they descended toward it. His mind began to encompass all that was their new home.

Very gently, she lifted one shapely index finger and pushed his jaw shut.

"Holy merde!" he said. "Did you warn the governor he's going to have to move out?"

----------
Originally posted Sat May 14, 2005 2:18 pm at the Hullabaloo.