View Single Post
Old 09-04-2007, 04:30 AM   #3
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
I'm curious about how much information about NASA is getting out these days.

If you hadn't seen notes about it here, would you be aware that NASA is developing a program to send the Orion spacecraft to the moon?
I have to say that while shuttle, ISS missions and probe launches, landings etc are covered by the media on this side of the pond, the Orion stuff is rarely mentioned. I'm not sure that's the fault of NASA however, possibly more the fault of congress, as nobody over here really believes it's going to happen.

I expect that attitude will change once they start seriously bending metal and doing tests.

The moon missions are really only ever mentioned in passing in that cliche "moon mars and beyond", no details beyond that.

Keep in mind that much of the English speaking world is at the mercy of Rupert Murdoch (SKY and FOX, London Times, NY Times etc etc etc) for news these days. BBC has the best "in depth" space and science coverage by far with Euronews coming in 2nd covering more topics in somewhat less detail. All the rest are only in the "also ran" category.

It might help if NASA were a bit more pushy, but I think the main problem is lack of funding credibility until we see what the next administration will do, or undo. Everyone knows NASA can do it, not many believe it will be allowed finish the job.

Last edited by mikedelaney16 : 09-04-2007 at 05:40 AM.
mikedelaney16 is offline   Reply With Quote