View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 01:58 AM   #31
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Tales of Happy Valley
Chapter 30: Plotting and Scheming

Gloria: Genesis of a Plan

"So, how's the baby? Frieda said she'd be there to help out any time you need her."

"It should be any time now, but I don't know when this little guy is going to launch! He seems to like it right where he is!"

A merry laugh escaped Gloria's lips. "It sounds like he takes after his father already!"

"Oh, that's terrible!" She said. "I love it!"

"We're so bad. We really should be ashamed of ourselves!"

"And the chances of that happening are?"

"Somewhere between abysmal and that proverbial snowball! Bad forever! Or at least as long as the guys don't find out!"

"Speaking of the guys not finding out..."

"Uh huh. You mean The Guy in particular."

"Exactly."

"I'm on it, She! What do you need me to do?"

"Go to college."

"Yes! That's my final answer! But we're not there yet. Let's start with... Huh? I was thinking about doing that, but I really like my job here, and I'd miss you--"

"That's only part of it. I want you to go down to the campus town and buy a big chunk of land, the bigger the better as long as it's close in, preferably close to my girls. Then get those architects from the Pearl Construction Company drawing up plans for a big house."

"Bigger than Manse Orleans?"

"Huge. Big enough to be converted to a dorm or a frat house when we're done with it."

"You'll make a mint off of that! Rents are sky-high on campus!"

"Yup. That's the long-range strategy, but right now I want a big house on campus, and I want you in it. I need an on-campus operative, and you're what I want."

"I love the idea, but what kind of house do you really want? I don't need a big house just to represent you on campus. You're up to something, and it involves him, which is why you don't want him to know!"

"You're good, Gloria! That's why I need you!"

"Aw, I just thought you loved me for my peach cobbler!"

"I love you for lots of reasons! But right now I need you because you can get this done, and I'll need you on campus. He's going back to school!"

"But he just doesn't know it yet, right?"

"Right! He'll decide it's time to do that just as soon as the baby is born and I can get somebody to watch Manse Orleans for us--"

"Oh, Frieda would be happy to house-sit for you. She has always been gaga over Manse Orleans. You know I would, too, but it sounds like I'll be living on campus for the next four years!"

"Yet bet! And we'll be there, too! If you can hold off on mentioning it to Frieda until he finds out that he's decided that this is what he wants to do, that would be good. She likes to talk, y'know."

"I understand. She'll want to kill me for keeping secrets from her, but she'll understand when she finds out why."

"Good girl!"

"OK, She, I'm on it! I'll keep you informed as things progress. Codeword, um, 'Detroit'."

"'Detroit.' Got it. OK, hon, love you!"

"Love you, too!"

>click<

Dial, dial, dial...

"Hi boss, it's Gloria. Better start looking for a new med tech stat. I'm going back to college!"

"..."

"Thanks. Yeah, I know. But Henry is coming along, and Jana will help out until he's up to par with the ambulance procedures."

"..."

"OK then! Thanks, boss! You're the greatest!"

>click<

Dial, dial, dial...

"Hi Jenny! Hey, I've got a job for The Pearl. Another sub rosa..."