View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
shorty943
Banned

G-day all. Had a day or two off. Slept mostly.

Master and Commander? Movie? Russell Crowe!
Um, sorry, I can't say I recall deliberately sitting down to watch it. I don't seem to be able to find any way to explain myself, movies, music, "the arts" are absolutely, not at all, any where near, the middle of my list of must do stuff. I do read, when I have time, and "need" to escape? Omar Khyam is always relaxing to me, I can sit and re-read the Rubiyat over and over.
I have read "My Master Mariner", can't recall the author, about Sir Francis Drake. Then there are the Horatio Hornblower novella's. And of course "Tom Cringles Log", by Michael Scott, a very old book, written about 200 years ago, boy sailor to master mariner, pirates, swashing and buckling. Actually quite difficult to read, at least my 1895 copy is. It is written in a style of language long since disused, and can take some getting used to.
Countless other tales of the days of sail, and whaling, and even tramp steamer tales of the Humphry Bogart movie era.
There was a burst of J. T. Edson, and "Cap'n Dusty Fogg" novels, around the Royal Australian Navy ship libraries during the 1970"s.
There is hardly a sailing ship man, any where in the world, who does not know of Captain Joshua Slocum. He disappeared in the Bermuda Triangle, aged in his 70's. Went to sea at about 12 years of age, retired as a master mariner at 70, got sick of life ashore real quick, had a little ship built and set off to see the places he had not yet seen. And I mean little ship, The "Spray" was about 42 feet long. Replica's of her in yacht clubs all over the world.
The log of USS Nautilus's journey under the North Polar ice cap was quite interesting.

Speaking of the Navy. I don't suppose the US Navy has found it's lost Nuke ships yet?
Yep, a sub somewhere in the "Triangle", although that was lost back in the 1960's, and evidently there is a Nuke capable 4,000 ton DDG (guided missile destroyer) missing from Pearl. Tsk, tsk, those kids ought to be more careful with their toys. We buy them shiny new ships, and they just leave them when they see something shinier and newer.

But Master and Commander? Made in hollyweird? I can't recall watching it. It might come on to network TV one of these days. Hmm, I see a problem there too. I don't watch a lot of commercial network TV either.

Aww hell, now I'm gonna have to go and rent the damned video.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote