View Single Post
Old 01-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #19
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
I suspect that eventually they'll move to requiring a net connection to play so that they can check your registration against a database stored on their server.
Actually, I'm afraid they're almost there already! Yesterday I was at Half Priced Books (a local used/over stock book/music/game store) & picked up copies of the 2 Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 expansions (Soaked! & Wild!) for reasons I'm still not sure about. (Well, okay: they were reeeeaaalllyy cheap!) I have a personal grudge against RCT3- or should I say Atari- as they released (a very buggy) RCT3 without any beta testing what so ever. They even bragged about it on their friggen website!

Anyway I was browsing through the game "instructions" (remember when PC games came with actual manuals instead of just semi-enhanced installation guides?) when I stumbled across a little feature where one of the packs "requires" a constant internet connection in order to "update the ad displays on the billboards in your park"! (Yeah. Riiiiiiiiiiigggghhhht.)

Fortunately, you can turn off this little "gem" of a feature in the Options panel (though of course the manual advises against this) but the very idea that something like this was even included at all makes me real glad I didn't pay full price for those EPs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg
It sounds like all SecuROM does is inconvenience paying customers while no slowing down criminals at all.
That seems to be the general consensus. The sad thing is that SecuROM is still being (rather widely) used!