View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 04:52 AM   #1
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Default All the World's a Stage

How to Build a Stage
Method 1: Partial Standard Foundation

The question keeps coming up: How do I build a club with a stage?

There are two basic methods to get a stage into a Sims 2 building. One is to use the standard foundation; the other uses the split-level foundation.

Let's do the first method first, since it would be methodical to do it that way.

1. Build your stage

Use the standard foundation tool to lay out your stage.

Here I built a stage approximately the size of the stage at The Wreck.

2. Add some walls

I built the walls around where the main room will be on the ground level. Don't try to close up the walls yet.

3. Use the dreaded cheat code: boolprop constrainfloorelevation false

I used the command boolprop constrainfloorelevation false and closed up the walls! Eeek! Now my stage is terrible mess!

No worries; we'll fix that shortly. While we are here, I want to point out something very important that will help understand that constrainfloorelevation thing: Note that the edge of the foundation jumped up to match the top of the walls. That happened because the top of the foundation and the top a wall built on the ground are the same "level" in the game.

Let's call the ground Level 0. The top of the foundation is Level 1, and the top of a wall built on the ground is also Level 1.

Also note that the stage floor jumped up, instead of the wall slanting down, because I ran the wall tool up to the foundation. The height of the wall tool was in control. If I had used the foundation tool and extended the foundation to the wall, then the edge of the last section of wall would have slanted down to meet its level.

4. Add the Level 2 walls to the main floor.

I added walls atop those tall walls and painted all of Level 2 red so you can see what's going on. Note that the new wall sections mate up with the walls I had previously built on the stage.

(I also added some temporary windows to let in some light so you can see what's happening on the ground level, too.)

Now I want to flatten something so that I'll have a flat roof. To do that, some of these walls have to squished to only 4 steps high, the height of the foundation. I have to choose: Do I want to squish the 1st level or the 2nd level.

I'll want to add more of a club later, so I decided to squish the Level 2 walls.

5. Use flooring tool to flatten the stage floor.

I selected a dark wood floor tile and dragged it across the stage, from the back corner to the front of the main stage. This flattened those nasty spots on the stage.

6. Use a floor to align the top of the walls

I want the top of all my Level 2 walls at the same height. To do that, I started with a floor tile in the back corner--which was at the height I wanted--and dragged it all the way across the whole room.

7. The walls squish into alignment

When I release the mouse, the top of all the Level 2 walls is nicely aligned. Note that in the main room, this means that the Level 2 walls have been squished down to only 4 steps tall while the walls on the stage are their full 16-steps height.

8. Turn off the cheat code and make it pretty.

Now you're done with the tricky part. Use "boolprop constrainfloorelevation true" to turn off the cheat code.

I added another level to the whole thing.

I wanted the building to be taller so I added another level of walls. I deleted the tile floor that I used to align the wall tops, leaving the whole volume open.

Then I just roofed it over with a nice asphalt roof, finished the walls in white brick, and added the pediment to make the roof look nice.

9. Finishing the establishment

The staff entrance and dressing rooms are at the back.

To finish off the part of the club, I built on a 1-story section for dressing rooms and stuff onto the back. Some curtains (2-story painted walls) and lights complete the stage environment.

At that point, something was missing, but here she comes now!

10. Tabitha Swan takes the stage!

Tabitha wanted to rehearse before the club opens.

All we need is some chairs, an entrance, a ticket booth, and of course, one other thing...

"Call in Kevin and the frat boys!"

Last edited by Greg : 07-03-2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: typos... typos... typos...
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote