View Single Post
Old 07-26-2008, 03:01 AM   #5
Hokieman
Solar Max

ZW, I have done it. It's actually not hard. There used to be a post at ISA by JankFalcon that told you how to do most of it but it's gone now. But here are the basics:

1. First thing you have to do is determine th skintone internal file names/numbers. That is the hard part unless you already have a sim in your game with the skintone you want to use. It's a breeze cause all you have to do is copy and paste. I'll tell you where further along in this post. If you don't have a sim with the skintone, it's just a few more steps.

2. If you don't know the skintne internal number/name then the way I found them was using Christianlov's CL Tool and his skintone changer. Hopefully you've got it. Also to make it easier, I hope you have all your skintones isolated by directory and bodytype if you're using any of the bodytypes like CPU, Fashion Model, etc. If you have everything in the downloads folder that's ok, It'll work but when you run into a problem, it's just a little harder to track down specific files.

3. Follow the CL Tool directions to load the skintone changer. You have to select the directory where the skintones are and where the changer is located and then let the program read the files. In a window below, where you put in the directory names, you will notice that the Tool will list every skintone it reads. Copy what's in the window and paste it into a note pad, word or some other word processor. If you have multiple directories where you have skintones, you will have to repeat the process for every directory so you can get a complete list of all your skintones. Once you've got all the data in a document, save it and close the CL Tool.

4. For each skintone on the list, you'll see things like the directory path & filename, the tool tip that's used in CAS & Bodyshop, the file size and the last item is the skintn's internal number/name. It's a bunch of numbers and letters separated into 5 groups separated by hypens. Now you have the names you need.

5. Open SimPE, then open the neighborhood where the sim you want to change is located. Select sim description in the upper left window and all the sims in the hood will be displayed in the right window. Scroll down to the sim you want to change and highlight it. Then in the bottom window (Plugin View) select More then Open Sim DNA which will open in the bottom window.

6. You will see two windows, one labeled dominate gene and one labeled recessive gene. In each window you will see a field called skintone and on the right will be the value currently in the field. This is where you need to plug in your new skintone value you get from the list you made with CL Tool.

7. You probably already know this but, the dominate gene window is the sim's current state. The recessive gene only comes into play when you have babies. It's basically, the value from the other parent when the sim is born in game. So you only need to change the skintone value in the dominate gene window to modify an existing sim.

8. So basically all you do here is type in the new value, commit and save.

9. All of the above works perfectly well for the default body type. There is another step involved for non-default bodyshapes like CPU. Ifyou are trying to make a default size sim a CPU for example, what you will get up to this point is a default size sim with a CPU skintone. You will not get the CPU bodyshape on the existing sim. However, since chainging the skintone this way is genetic, any babies born by this sim or his mate will inherit the bodyshape as well. It works the same way between any bodyshapes. If you put a Rio skintone on an existing CPU, you get exactly that Rio skin on a CPU shape but any offspring that inherit the bodyshape will be Rio, not CPU. So how do we get the bodyshape that goes with the skintone for non-default size sims?

10. Not hard. Below the skintone field in the dominate gene window is a field called SkintoneRange. All you have to do is plug the same value that you pluged into the Skintone field into that one as well. The commit and save.

11. If you already have a sim with the skintone you want to apply to your target sim, the process is even easier. Select Sim Description and select the sim that has the skintone you want. Select More in the bottom window then Open Sim DNA. Copy the value in the skintone field. Then go back to Sim Description and select the target sim, Select More and open Sim DNA and then paste the copied value in the Skintone field, commit and save. Repeat if you need to do the same for the SkintoneRange field. It's that easy.

I'm lousy with screen shots so I apolgize for not including them. Just reply or shoot me a PM if you have any questions.
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote