View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Thanks, Hokieman! I took your advice and ran Delphy's Download Organizer. It found more than 1400 orphan files, but they are all meshes, mostly by Warlokk. Oddly, it didn't find a single broken Body Shop file.

I tried using DDO to move some "unknown" files out of the game but the move failed. And now that I write that, I think I might know why. I probably have all the game files set to "read only." Silly me.

Now I'm day-dreaming about a new clothing manager utility. I think that idea deserves its own thread so I'll see if I can get my thoughts organized and start one!

Meanwhile, I just might collect all the clothing into one spot and try the binary-search trick. The idea is to divide the herd into 2 equal parts. Try one part. If it fails, you know the bad file is in there somewhere. If it does not file, the bad file is in the other set. Continue to divide and test.

It's incredibly time-consuming because Body Shape takes so long to load but it's the fastest way I know of to do an exhaustive test. If you have 4096 downloads to test, you should be able to zero in on the target in 12 iterations. So even if it takes a half hour per test, that's only 6 hours; much less time than I would spending trying to find the culprit by eyeballing file names.