View Single Post
Old 06-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #16
justdave
Rising Sun

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
I suppose he means "European Union."

Dave, you might want to look at Gimp (http://www.gimp.org)
..... I have friends in Europe (Netherlands, France, Italy) and they always refer to Europe. I don't know if it's common venacular, but saying European Union, EEU, European Economic Union, etc. is long and drawn out. Europe says it all for them.
..... I have many more friends and in-laws in SouthEast Asian countries and they just refer to them as ASEAN. Quick, easy.
..... Yes, there is a flag for the EEU. It is the Council of Europe flag, which was adopted as the flag of Europe. The Council of Europe dates from a few years after World War II and was the first organization promoting European Unity. I know this mainly because France issued stamps for the Council of Europe and I collect stamps.
..... I'm also considering NATO swimsuit (NATO has a flag). I've also considered suits for some "dead" countries that most people have never heard of (East Germany, Hatay, Tannu Touva, Manchukuo, etc.) that could be interesting. I'll post what I do later.
Dave
PS: Thanks for the tip on GIMP. Being kind of gimpy myself, it has a perfect fit that way.
justdave is offline   Reply With Quote