View Single Post
Old 09-09-2008, 10:14 PM   #59
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

I'm working on a picture tutorial, though I forgot to get a picture of the tuna sandwich so I guess it won't be 100% complete!

It's taking a little bit because I am actually cropping the screen shots (yay!) but I should be done in another hour...or two!

If you can't wait & don't need/want pictures, here's a quick "verbal" run down:

Since the Default S1-4 skins all have 33 texture files & the "Baby Hair" custom ones have 34 (for the separate baby hair file) my big stumbling block was how to get an extra texture into a Default & still have it act as a Default. (FYI, I think I might have figured out a way, but I haven't tested it yet.)

So how did I get baby Atlas?

I basically created what is known as a "Dependent Default", which is a Default that draws it's textures from a separate file. This greatly reduces the size of the Default file (as it doesn't contain all the redundant textures that you get with a typical Body Shop package) but it means that in order to work you need to have both the Default & the file it is being "linked" to in your Downloads folder to function correctly.

It also means the Default package still contains the standard 33 texture files. I am just "telling" the Default to look elsewhere when it's time to create a baby's hair file.

Okay, that's not the best explanation, but I really am finishing up a picture tutorial!

While you wait, make sure you have SimPE & the NVidia DDS Tools installed (for creating your DXT files) as that's what I used so that's what my pictures are gonna show!

There's a way to do it without the NVida Tools, but the compression method isn't as good so the end result isn't as good looking as with the NVidia Tools. Anyway, I don't know how to do it without the NVidia Tools, so...

If for some reason you don't have the NVida Utilites, get them here:
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/n...ure_tools.html

I will post again soon with my pictures & the blank set of Default Templates you will need.

-ZW