Old 06-19-2008, 12:32 AM   #1
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Default Raleigh Residence Hall

Raleigh Residence Hall
Room and Board for the Discriminating Student

Raleigh Residence Hall
The download is attached below.
Unzip the file to anywhere on your computer and then double-click it to install the dorm.
Raleigh Residence Hall will show up as a Specialty Lot on campus.
This file contains no hacks, no sims, no custom content; just the dorm. 100% Maxian materials.

This is the lot segment only. Since it's all Maxis stuff, everything should show up in your game.

Why spend the best years of your life lurking in a broom closet? You can go to college in comfort and style by living at the Raleigh Residence Hall!

Offering spacious living for up to sixteen descriminating students, the Raleigh Residence hall features room twice the size of the standard dorm and private balconies for each room! You will surely enjoy the communal gathering areas on the first floor and the spacious, well-appointed dining hall staff by the best cooks on campus.

Well... that's enough schmaltz. There are few more features you need to know about if you want to play with the Raleigh Residence Hall. It has a swimming pool, pool table, and an excercise room in the basement. The study and recreation areas are all on the first floor to encourage students to socialize and concentrate the action.

I put a normal door on one bedroom on the third floor, just in case you want to bring in some live-in NPC's to help out with the place. Live-in NPC's need their own bedroom.

Of the bedrooms, only the four front rooms on the second floor are furnished. Townies don't care whether there's furniture in their rooms or not, so I like to leave it out to keep the kids' expenses down and speed up the game. (Just assume the townies brought in their own furniture. You can't see in their rooms anyhow.) If you plan to occupy more than four rooms with playable sims, you might want to furnish more rooms before moving in students. You can furnish the rooms after your playable sims are on the property, but then the cost of the furniture will come from their meagre college funds.

Raleigh Residence Hall is built on a 3x3 perfectly flat lot. I built it in a clean install of the game with zero sims in the neighborhood, so it should be completely clean. All the furnishings are 100% Maxian, which really helps keep the download down to a reasonable size.

I've play-tested this dorm through one semester and fixed the nits, so I think it's ready for occupancy!

If you want to fiddle with the lot to enhance game play, I'd recommend replacing the door to the showers and bathroom in the basement exercise room with SimLogical bathroom doors. In game play, I also added an abbreviated version of my NPC Repair shop, but other than that, the dorm comes with everything your sims need for a happy, successful college career!

If you would like this dorm to be available permanently in the University Specialty Lot Catalog, do this:
  1. Install it.
  2. Go to \MyDocuments\EA Games\The Sims 2\Lot Catalog and find the latest lot file. It will be named something like cxxxxxxxxx.package. Check the file's date to be sure.
  3. Right-click on that file and select Copy.
  4. Go to \Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\LotTemplates (Note that we're under Program Files now, not under My Documents.)
  5. Right-click and paste to put a copy of the dorm in the LotTemplates Folder.
  6. Rename the new .package file to something intelligible and add "_Permanent" to the filename, such as RaleighResidenceHall_Permenant.package
  7. That's it! Now you can start up your game and find it in every college town, and it won't go away once you've installed it.

For more on how to build and modify dorms, see Carrot's Dorms! Dorms! Dorms! tutorial on the Hullabaloo. There are also notes about dormsmanship in the story of The Aardvarkians.

Enjoy!

Yes, that is a cow arriving at the dorm. Don't worry; it's one of the good cows. She's a student on campus at Happy Valley University.

Originally posted at the Hullabaloo on July 16, 2005.
Attached Files
File Type: zip raleighresidencehall.zip (1.56 MB, 10 views)

Last edited by Greg : 06-19-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #2
Sita
Solar Max

WOOT

Thank you Greg!
Sita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Silly question... Do you still need to add _Permanent to the file name?
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 11:38 PM   #4
Greg

I don't know. I think the _Permanent option might have appeared with a later expansion pack.
Old 08-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #5
Axa
Rising Sun

Thank you for sharing!
Axa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Greg

You're welcome, Axa! I'm glad you like it!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Crystal
Addicted Anjafan

I got this in my game. I made all the dorm rooms but if I put dorm doors on all rooms I get so many students living there my game almost stops. I just have 8 dorm doors now and that works really well. Still its a good way to get the game to make lots of new college students to play with!!
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 01:33 AM   #8
fsissy
Rising Sun

I never thought of not putting furniture in the rooms I'm not using to assist in better game play. And I learned how to get templates into the catalog. Thank you.
fsissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:20 PM   #9
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Who sez hanging out on the internet isn't edumacational?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #10
Greg

This is a reminder that I used to write complete instructions and even tutorials with every download. I should try to discipline myself to do that more.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #11
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Or link back to the original post on the Hullabaloo. I think you've got a few more lots to go...
Old 10-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #12
Greg

Oh, right. I have many more lots to go.

Instead of linking back to the original post, I duplicate it here and update it as required.