Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Default Windows Vista File Listings

How do I tell Windows Vista that I want ALL directories to show, by default, a detailed listing of all files with filename, size, type, and date modified, and nothing else?

In other words, how do I get it to stop trying to figure out if a directory contains imagings and showing columns for things like "date taken" and "rating"?

Old 05-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #2
Miros1
Goddess for Life

You mean you want it to behave like... XP?
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
Hokieman
Solar Max

Doesn't Vista have a configuration for the windows that allows you to change the columns?
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 02:10 AM   #4
Greg

Rose, not helpful.

Hokieman, yes it does. You can right-click on the column header and change what data are displayed in the file listing. However, the only way I have found to do it so far is one folder at a time. What I want to do is tell Vista that I always want to see that exact same file listing as the default in every directory.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Here's the first bit:
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/1...ates-in-vista/

This might do it too:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/23...s-folder-views
Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Greg

Ah, much more helpful!

The idea of having to edit the registry is terrifying. I hope to goodness Microsoft puts out a service pack that includes a feature where you can specify the defaults for new folders.

The second link will work for existing folders but if you save an image to a new folder, Vista still wants to use its own notion of what the column headers should be.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #7
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Oh, it gets better... My cool SimText file installer/renamer won't work with Vista because my code for adding to the context (right-click) menu doesn't work. While looking for tips for you, I found a hint on how to add stuff to the context menu via regedit, which gives me the info to make SimText work. I also got an email back from a former co-worker who can probably help me fill in the gaps, and I can finally get the darn thing out the door!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:24 AM   #8
Greg

Hooray!

(I'm still hoping for that utility the clean out the picture directories. )
Old 05-07-2008, 01:47 PM   #9
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Oh very cool: can't wait to see your new program!

A "picture cleaner outer" would be very awesome too...but what I've always wanted was a way to get the game to add new pictures after the story picture I have highlighted rather than before it. I like to tell my stories in chronological order not backwards & hate having to always move new pictures to the end of the list manually.

-ZW

PS: The more I read about Vista, the more I am glad I don't have it. Sounds like a real pain in the rear to do much of anything with it! (I once overheard a woman- who was also a computer programmer- say that she viewed Vista as a PC game where you have to try & get around a bunch of guards who want to try & stop you from doing anything at all on your computer. She felt as though she had won the game after she went in & basically stripped/rewrote the core files, thereby successfully "killing off all the guards"! )
Old 05-07-2008, 04:46 PM   #10
Greg

It took a few days to get used to some of the new features in Vista and obviously I am not fond of the way it tries to sense the content of image directories, but other than that, what you see on the web is mostly hyper-exaggerated drama.

I rather like the door dragons. They keep me informed of what the heck is going on in my computer.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #11
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Yeah, the "Such and such is attempting to access your computer!" dialog is annoying, but I'm secretly glad they're there. If I pick up a nasty malware off the net somewhere, I want to be informed if it's trying to run so I can clean it off as soon as possible.
Kaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 09:36 PM   #12
Miros1
Goddess for Life

SimText has actually saved me more time (and probably quite a few stupid errors) than it took me to write it! Add in Sita's saved time, and this is actually a timesaving piece of software.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:02 AM   #13
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylyn View Post
Yeah, the "Such and such is attempting to access your computer!" dialog is annoying, but I'm secretly glad they're there. If I pick up a nasty malware off the net somewhere, I want to be informed if it's trying to run so I can clean it off as soon as possible.
The thing is, I already have that feature via SpyBot S&D...and SpyBot doesn't question every move I make, will let me create/store ZIP files under the Program File heading & doesn't devour my RAM.

I'm sure a lot of the Vista hype is just that- hype- but it still seems that the people who are the happiest with it are the ones who have managed to get it to act more like XP...which is working & running my games just peachy, so I'm in no hurry to "upgrade" right now. (I'm sure I'll be forced to soon enough...)

-ZW
Old 05-23-2008, 01:43 AM   #14
rdanner3
Herald of the Dawn

With the release of the stable Service Pack 3 for XP, perhaps not. I think even Microsoft is aiming for Windows 7. I've seen an obviously bogus video on YouTube that supposedly was a beta of Windows 7 Ultimate, but I would seriously hope and pray that Microsoft realizes that folks want a usable system out of the box, which Vista Home (the lowest Vista version) is decidedly not. I've Vista Home Premium on my laptop, and it's ok, though the "door dragons" (provided mostly by User Access Control (aka UAC)) are a bit extreme when running Windows Update gives you two of the dratted screens to click past before it does its thing!

Add that to the fact that Microsoft has admitted to having "coded UAC to be as annoying as possible" to make 3rd-party developers recode their apps to work properly and you have a recipe for some very unhappy customers, since even Microsoft apps (see my note on Windows Update) also trigger multiple UAC screens!

Most of what made Vista bleeding edge was stripped out before it went to initial RTM, in fact. (WinFS was a major upgrade over NTFS, for example. Gone over two years before Vista was released. That's just one of four major improvements they stripped out of Longhorn betas.) As it currently stands, Vista is barely a decent service pack for XP in many IT professionals' opinions. (and Aero? Bested badly by Beryl (which is open-source and present in several high-end Linux distros) which isn't nearly as graphics-intensive to get even more cool-factor on-screen.)
rdanner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 AM   #15
Greg

I'm thinking we ought to invoke cloture on this topic. Let's keep it to discussions of what you can do to tidy up Vista's amusing behaviors.

Put the Microsoft-bashing on somebody else's site, where fruitless drama is welcome.