Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Welcome to Sun Sims! > All About Sun Sims
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #1
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Default Added PayPal Donation Thingie

Hooray! I finally installed a donation thingie that adds a Donate link to the main navigation bar for Sun Sims!

If I did it right, that button should take you to a page where you can enter an amount, and then by clicking on PayPay button you should end on PayPal's site with a login box.

Sales Pitch: Yup, it does cost a lot of money to operate a Sims site. Your generous donation helps me pay the bills for Sun Sims, The Ultimate Sims List, the Hullabaloo, the Sim City Community College, Trollops & Johns, The Sims 2 at Sun Sims, and and all their companion sites. In addition to all that, it helps pay for hosting the imagery library for stories, tutorials, and downloads that I post over at Insim and other Sims fan sites around the net. In other words, this is my one-and-only tip jar for all my simmish activities.

Recognizing Donors: I'm still trying to figure out how to add a little symbol to your user profile, like the little "$" image that Insim uses. Also, since I just now added this thing, I'm not yet sure exactly what notification I'll be getting when someone donates. So please bear with me while I figure out this stuff. I might need to hunt down another mod to vBulletin to make that work.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:14 PM   #2
Greg

Addendum: I can now report that the bally thing works, too!

At least PayPal sends a note telling me that someone donated. I still haven't figured out how Kathy does little image thingie. It must be a mod, and I haven't yet had time to go hunting among the mods. I'm procrastinating on that until I can upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin but before I do that, I need to reconfigure the database for the other site, and meanwhile my big machine is busy loading Body Shop, and I'm sure that the power failure last week and the air conditioning failure on Friday come into play here somewhere.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
Greg

Aha! I think I've sussed it!

I need to add a donor to the "Donors" user group and change the user's "Display User Group" from "Registered Users" to "Donors".

Then the button shows up! Thanks for the donation, Homerette! I used you for a test subject on this adventure!

That allows me to merrily report that Sun Sims (plus its companion site) is only $1,090.85 in the hole!

You might be amused to know that bandwidth isn't even on the radar. The costs are for vBulletin ($170.00), the domain names (about $1.50 per month, each), and the monthly hosting cost ($75.00 for a pair Networks high volume account).