Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2007, 05:12 AM   #1
arenotelicom
Rising Sun

Question Different physical attributes for every skin?

Hello all. I've recently downloaded a celebrity skin for my The Sims Deluxe game. He comes with the default Maxis white skin and fit body type. I have tried to add a little chest hair myself and it seemed to work great. But then when another one of my characters undressed to shower, I realized that he had the same customized feature. Is there any way for me to make it so that each character has their own features? I got quite a laugh at watching him bathe with his chest hair and then swim with a perfectly shaven body. The only characters who weren't affected by this modification are the ones with different body types and/or skin colors. I would need detailed instructions on how to attribute certain features to certain characters but not all. I realize it is all a question of file names and such but I am not very familiar with that. Must all sims with certain body types look the same?

I think the problem is that by altering "his" default nude skin, I've also altered all nude skins for light male skins. The skin uses the default light fit skin. I added the chest hair, saved the file and now every male who is fit and white has chest hair when undressed. The swimsuit skin is an entirely different skin, it seems. I've made modifications to that one as well in Paint so that it has chest hair too but somehow that didn't work and I think I'd have the same problem if it did. I've kept the originals for both. (Yay backup) I have downloaded the celebrity skin, there was no picture of a body, just the head, probably because it uses the default light male skin, which I have altered by copying/pasting the default fit white skin from the Maxis skins folder to my desktop and poking it with Paint. Then I added the result to his .zip file and extracted everything to the Maxis skins folder. I assume this replaced the default skin, (I have not renamed it) causing all males with the same skin color and body type to look like this. But that is a feature that I only want for this character in particular, as most of my other sims are rather androgynous and I like it that way. I'm not sure how to do that. Any help in this regard would be much, much appreciated.
arenotelicom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 01:37 PM   #2
Miros1
Goddess for Life

First things first... remove the file you created (drag to desktop or another safe place) and make sure your game works normally. I hope you haven't corrupted the Maxis files badly enough to require a reinstall! (Don't reinstall before asking us again; we might be able to avoid that reinstall.)

Now, how to do it right...

1) Run BodyShop, not SimPE.
2) Click "Create Parts," then "Start New Project," then "Genetics," then "Skintone" (looks like a hand).
3) Scroll to the end and click the Maxis light skin.
4) Click "Export" (looks like a folder with an arrow to the right).
5) Give the project a meaningful name and click the checkmark.
6) In Windows Explorer, navigate to My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Projects. Open the folder for your new project.
7) Drag in your files with bodyhair from the Desktop.
8) Back to BodyShop. Click the refresh button (looks like a circular arrow), then check the adult male version (it's hard to see chest hair with the underwear on, but that's Maxis for you).
9) Once you're sure it looks like you want it to, type a meaningful tooltip. Since it's for a celebrity Sim, you might want to use the celebrity's name. I have to stress this... use a good tool tip!
10) Click "Import" (looks like a folder with an arrow to the left).

Your new skintone is now in the SavedSims folder. Leave it there or drag to Downloads.

Now for the nasty question: Is your Sim a Sims2Pack file or a package file? Is he a complete Sim on a lot, or did you pick him from the SimBin (in CAS, the icon that looks like 6 Sims)?
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
arenotelicom
Rising Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
First things first... remove the file you created (drag to desktop or another safe place) and make sure your game works normally. I hope you haven't corrupted the Maxis files badly enough to require a reinstall! (Don't reinstall before asking us again; we might be able to avoid that reinstall.)

Now, how to do it right...

1) Run BodyShop, not SimPE.
2) Click "Create Parts," then "Start New Project," then "Genetics," then "Skintone" (looks like a hand).
3) Scroll to the end and click the Maxis light skin.
4) Click "Export" (looks like a folder with an arrow to the right).
5) Give the project a meaningful name and click the checkmark.
6) In Windows Explorer, navigate to My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Projects. Open the folder for your new project.
7) Drag in your files with bodyhair from the Desktop.
8) Back to BodyShop. Click the refresh button (looks like a circular arrow), then check the adult male version (it's hard to see chest hair with the underwear on, but that's Maxis for you).
9) Once you're sure it looks like you want it to, type a meaningful tooltip. Since it's for a celebrity Sim, you might want to use the celebrity's name. I have to stress this... use a good tool tip!
10) Click "Import" (looks like a folder with an arrow to the left).

Your new skintone is now in the SavedSims folder. Leave it there or drag to Downloads.

Now for the nasty question: Is your Sim a Sims2Pack file or a package file? Is he a complete Sim on a lot, or did you pick him from the SimBin (in CAS, the icon that looks like 6 Sims)?
Thank you very much for your prompt response, but... Like I said, I only have the original The Sims, the deluxe edition. I don't think that's going to work for me. But thank you very much for your time. Surely I'll find a solution someday, lol.

PS: Yes, the original files are still intact, I just replaced my personalized skin with my backup. Now everything's back to normal, but still no chest hair for mister Garcia without it being contagious. Tehehe. I hadn't realized this was a Sims 2 only forum. I apologize. Have a nice day.

Last edited by arenotelicom : 11-03-2007 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
Miros1
Goddess for Life

OOOH! Sorry! Brain fart there!

Let me think.... I used to know this...

Ok, let's use Brad Pitt as an example...

If his regular clothes are B001MAFitLgt_BradPitt.bmp, then his personal nude skin would be NMFitLgt_BradPitt.bmp, not NMFitLgt_01.bmp.

What the letters means:
N - Nude
M or F - Sex
Fit, Skn, or Fat - body type
Lgt, Drk, or Med - skin color
_ - an underscore
The rest of the file name has to be exactly the same as the rest of the filename for the normal clothes for the Sim, in this case, BradPitt.

BTW, Gimp is a much better art program and it's free. http://www.gimp.org/windows/
Old 11-04-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
arenotelicom
Rising Sun

Quote:
OOOH! Sorry! Brain fart there!

Let me think.... I used to know this...

Ok, let's use Brad Pitt as an example...

If his regular clothes are B001MAFitLgt_BradPitt.bmp, then his personal nude skin would be NMFitLgt_BradPitt.bmp, not NMFitLgt_01.bmp.

What the letters means:
N - Nude
M or F - Sex
Fit, Skn, or Fat - body type
Lgt, Drk, or Med - skin color
_ - an underscore
The rest of the file name has to be exactly the same as the rest of the filename for the normal clothes for the Sim, in this case, BradPitt.

BTW, Gimp is a much better art program and it's free. http://www.gimp.org/windows/
Hello and thank you for your quick response. Your time is very much appreciated. You're a dear. I'm not quite sure I understand what you're asking me to do. I need to rename what skin exactly? The celebrity .zip file comes with an image of the head only, there is no body in there, at least not an image. When there is no custom body provided I think the game just assumes it uses the default fit white skin, I have no idea. The head image is named "C6x6malgt_Deag_AndyGarcia.bmp". There is another file, "c6x6ma_close.cmx" and finally, "xskin-c6x6ma_close-HEAD-HEAD.skn". And that's all there is in that .zip file. I have replaced my personalized skin with the default Maxis skin so everything is back to normal. I kept mine somewhere in a separate folder for when I figure out how to assign this nude skin to this sim in particular. So what should I do from there? Thank you so much in advance.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Ah, ok.... They really did only give you the head... here's what you do...

Download a smokin' hot outfit for him. Before installing it, change the part between the underscore and the period to AndyGarcia.

Example: If it was B100MAFitLgt_SmokingHot.bmp, rename it to B100MAFitLgt_AndyGarcia.bmp.

Now rename the nude skin you modified to NMFitLgt_AndyGarcia.bmp.

Now only Sims wearing the SmokingHot/AndyGarcia bitmap will use your nude skin with the body hair.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:15 AM   #7
arenotelicom
Rising Sun

Quote:
Ah, ok.... They really did only give you the head... here's what you do...

Download a smokin' hot outfit for him. Before installing it, change the part between the underscore and the period to AndyGarcia.

Example: If it was B100MAFitLgt_SmokingHot.bmp, rename it to B100MAFitLgt_AndyGarcia.bmp.

Now rename the nude skin you modified to NMFitLgt_AndyGarcia.bmp.

Now only Sims wearing the SmokingHot/AndyGarcia bitmap will use your nude skin with the body hair.
It worked like a CHARM. Thank you so much! I have one last question for you... Suppose I make a copy of the default swimsuit skin for fit white male skins (yanno, the pink one, LOL) and make little adjustments, (chest hair again in this case) what should I name the result in order to assign it to my precious Andy?

Thank you!!! *Hug*
Old 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
Miros1
Goddess for Life

It's similar, but I gotta look up the details (been a long time since I had to deal with swimwear, formals, etc. without Hot Date).

First: a handy source for the default skins: http://moonsims.asi.org/skins/default/ That's Greg's original Sims site, and there are quite a few handy tutorials there as well.

The name of the default swimsuit is: UMFitlgt_01.bmp, which you'd change to UMFitlgt_AndyGarcia.bmp. You could also download or create your own swimsuit for him, maybe something to coordinate with the smoking hot outfit; just give it that name. Formals and jammies work the same way, just change "01" (or whatever is between the underscore and the period) to "AndyGarcia."
Old 11-04-2007, 06:57 PM   #9
arenotelicom
Rising Sun

Quote:
It's similar, but I gotta look up the details (been a long time since I had to deal with swimwear, formals, etc. without Hot Date).

First: a handy source for the default skins: http://moonsims.asi.org/skins/default/ That's Greg's original Sims site, and there are quite a few handy tutorials there as well.

The name of the default swimsuit is: UMFitlgt_01.bmp, which you'd change to UMFitlgt_AndyGarcia.bmp. You could also download or create your own swimsuit for him, maybe something to coordinate with the smoking hot outfit; just give it that name. Formals and jammies work the same way, just change "01" (or whatever is between the underscore and the period) to "AndyGarcia."
Thanks for your precious help. Everything works perfectly.

...Gotta love watching him do the dishes shirtless.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
Miros1
Goddess for Life

You're welcome!
Old 11-05-2007, 01:05 AM   #11
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Wow! The original The Sims! That was a fun nostalgia trip!

If you snoop around in the "Tech" section on the ol' Moon Sims site, you'll find some tutorials that show what a sim is made of and how it all works.

How to Make a Zip Archive for Moon Sims has quite a bit of information in that vein.

How to Make Skins for The Sims has some pretty good stuff, too.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #12
arenotelicom
Rising Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Wow! The original The Sims! That was a fun nostalgia trip!

If you snoop around in the "Tech" section on the ol' Moon Sims site, you'll find some tutorials that show what a sim is made of and how it all works.

How to Make a Zip Archive for Moon Sims has quite a bit of information in that vein.

How to Make Skins for The Sims has some pretty good stuff, too.
Thank you very much! All of your replies have been very useful. I couldn't be happier. Thanks again to both of you.