Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2007, 07:11 AM   #1
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Default Basement Help

Well, I built my foundation. I finally managed to get the center part leveled at the right height so I could build walls on it to hide the banks of dirt along the foundation. I put in the first and second floor walls.

I can use non-modular stairs to connect the first and second floors, but not modular ones. I can't use either modular or non-modular stairs to connect the first floor to the basement. Non-modular ones give the message "out of bounds." Modular ones give the message "can't level bottom landing," which is silly, because it is level and has flooring on it!

It doesn't matter if the roof is on or not.

Any advice?
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Naive question: Are modular stairs a feature of a later expansion pack or are you trying to use the ol' "boolprop constrainfloorelevation false" trick?

An idea: Try deleting the floor tiles in the basement before installing the stairs.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
Miros1
Goddess for Life

The modular stairs are the ones that are one tile and adjust to the correct elevation depending on the stair tiles above/below them. 4 tiles worth are roughly equivalent to a full flight of stairs. The Sims can follow each other up them because they're individually flagged as "in use." Not sure when they came out because I bought the game, Uni and NL at the same time.

They're the ones Carrot used to use to determine how far down to dig her basements. Not applicable for me because the lot wasn't flat and my foundation was intended to be just barely above the ground in the back.

Not using the floor elevation boolprop. Think it would help?

I tried deleting the floor tiles on the first floor... will give removing the basement tiles a shot.

Last edited by Miros1 : 03-17-2007 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:56 AM   #4
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Well, I decided to rip the front of the foundation off and put on a normal wall so I could have some windows in the basement. Since tampering with the foundation after the house is mostly together deletes chunks of the first floor flooring, I was able to replace the one piece where the "head" of the stairs would go and place my stairs.

Anyone got better ideas for the roof:
Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
Greg

I suspect that the problem was either that the floor was already there or that the landing was too close to the foundation where the stairs came down.

The only idea idea I have for the roof is to try a hipped or gambrel roof. It will still be jaggie but it's less obvious with a sloping roof. I've long wished for a 45 degree angle on the roof edges.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:45 AM   #6
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I read some of Tiko's tutorial on mauling floors into roofs, so I might try it. The house is already packed up with the jaggy roof, so nothing will be lost if it's a giant crashing failure.
Old 03-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #7
Sita
Solar Max

That is a very nice house, Rose!

If you have Pets there are some diagonal roofs that might work.
Sita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #8
Greg

Oho! Another temptation to install Pets!

I shall resist. I am strong. I can resist this. But it's right there on the shelf. But I don't want to spend another two days updating all my hacks again. But they have diagonal roofs. But the box hasn't ripened to perfection yet. But...
Old 03-22-2007, 07:19 PM   #9
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Hm, I hadn't thought of the diagonal roofs... It's one of those "prow" houses, so I was trying to figure out how to come close to the roofline...