Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Stories
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Default I'm Surrounded By Idiots: The Harley Legacy

This is my attempt at an "I'm Surrounded by Idiots" legacy. I've tried and tried again to do a regular legacy, but keep getting bored before the first generation is over with, so I figured this would keep my interest a little more. I'm doing this as a LiveJournal pixel_trade community challenge, so I'm using all sims I've downloaded from users in that community.

I'm adding a few things here and there. I'm planning on making use of the career rewards earned by the controllables, so that may break the rules just a tiny bit, but it's the only way I know for my first-gen uncontrollable politician to up his charisma on his own. I'm also periodically checking in on his Aspiration Reward panel for the strict purpose of allocating any unused points towards his secondary aspiration (randomly rolled) and those other goodies on that panel.

Here's Cassidy Harley, the Torch Holder a.k.a. TH. She's a Popularity/Fortune sim with a LTW of owning 5 top-level businesses. Don't know if that's gonna happen! She's taken a job in Military for the time being. I may reroll her LTW in the future.

BJ Lutzen was in the welcome wagon that showed up that first day. Cassidy immediately welcomed him and ignored Benjamin Long and Jan Tellerman completely.

I fell in love with him as soon as I saw him in my game. He's got the cutest nose I've ever seen on a Sim. Can't really tell from here, but in profile it's gorgeous.

Cassidy bats her eyelashes at him for a while outside, then invites him in. She turns on the stereo and they dance for a while. BJ is a surprisingly good dancer!

Cassidy then whips up some mac and cheese. BJ is impressed. I guess the way to a man's heart is truly through his stomach.

Cassidy: "So, even though you've only just met me, do you wanna move in and get married and have babies?"
BJ: "OMG yes!"

In between him moving in and getting them married, I checked out his basics. I rolled him as a Family sim before townifying him. His LTW is to marry off 6 children. Then I rolled his secondary aspiration...

wait for it...

ROMANCE!!! He's so conflicted.

His first order of business upon marrying Cassidy was to write in his diary.

"Dear Diary. I met a girl today. We're married now. I wanted it...and I didn't want it... What's her name again?"
Cassidy: "Whatcha doin'?"
BJ: "Nothing important...um...dear. I love you...I think..."

Townifying Sims gives them random jobs. He's at the low end of the totem pole in the politician track. Work that suit!

He leaves Harley at home puking in the toilet. Their wedding night was a success!

Cassidy: "Dear God, look at the size of that belly. That's gotta come out WHERE?"

They enjoy a nice spaghetti dinner the night before she's due.

The next day she's starving, exhausted...and then the labor begins.

She gives birth to a baby boy, Jack. She sets him down on a blanket in the nursery and promptly passes out next to her newborn son.
Kaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:33 AM   #2
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Yikes! This sounds like a dangerous variation to play!
Old 08-20-2008, 02:05 AM   #3
Axa
Rising Sun

I don't remember when I last made it past generation 3, so I'm going to try it too
*afraid at least half of my sims are going to die in the first week...*
Axa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #4
Greg

I don't really understand the point of the "challenge." The folks at Maxis designed the automated behavior model for the sims to require player interaction to prevent things from going wrong; so what I would expect is that if you don't play the playable members of the household, things will go wrong, just as the game was programmed to do.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:11 AM   #5
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Yep. Well, the challenge is actually in the legacy, to last 10 generations. What makes it even more of a challenge is you can only control one sim per generation. Trying to keep them from losing their minds or their little sim-lives due to the stupidity of the non-controllables can be difficult for some!

I'm mainly doing it this way for the entertainment value. It's amusing to see what the sims gravitate towards when left to their own devices. Their personalities really come out. BJ, for example, is content to dance and write in his diary. All. Day. Long.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Greg

I'm guessing that if you hire a maid and have lots of bathrooms, they'll survive.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #7
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Aw, but where's the fun in that?

Actually, so far so good. Jack just became a child and Cassidy's about to have another baby, so I'm guessing that's when the fun starts! I'm making tons of food ahead of time and sticking it in the fridge in case BJ can't seem to figure out how to cook for his own kids.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #8
Greg

I was unaware that you could cook food and store it in the refrigerator. That must have come from an expansion pack that I don't have.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #9
Miros1
Goddess for Life

It's in Seasons... along with gardening and fishing.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #10
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Yep, Seasons. Apparently kids can take leftovers out of the fridge if you forget to cook for them.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:22 AM   #11
Greg

Oh! Leftovers! That's another small incentive to consider installing more expansion packs, if I ever get time to play the game again!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 PM   #12
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Cassidy woke up after a few minutes and fed Jack and put him back to bed.

The next day, Cassidy went back to work. She hired a nanny to be safe, but BJ didn't have to work.

BJ left the baby to his own devices while he took a bath at the other end of the trailer.

The nanny arrives. *cringes*

She immediately picks up Jack and heads towards the kitchen. BJ immediately freaks out and covers up his diary.

"Dear Diary. I'm a father now. I'm not sure how I feel about that." *hides diary* "Did she see? I don't want her to think I hate my son. I don't think I hate my son..."

She shoves a bottle in Jack's mouth just as Jack fills up his diaper.

And then she lays him down on the tile kitchen floor, smelly diaper intact.

But not to worry...Super Nanny is on top of things! She immediately realizes her mistake and takes Jack to the nursery to change his diaper.

Aww, she's a playful nanny!

And then she puts Jack on the floor. Seriously, the baby blanket is like 2 tiles away!

Nanny heads back to the living room, where BJ is STILL writing in his diary, and STILL freaking out. BJ, I don't think she cares.

BJ finally decides to go be a father for a minute. The nanny follows him and stares.

Nanny: "Are you sure you know what you're doing?"
BJ: *shrug*

Nanny then took Jack away, only to lay him down on the floor RIGHT NEXT TO his bed. Maybe she just can't get her head around Atavera's blankets?

Nannys taking showers isn't exactly a new thing. What makes this amusing is she got out of the bathtub in one end of the house, and hopped immediately in the shower on the other end of the house.

Jack survived his infancy, and Cassidy bought him a birthday cake. Let's see if BJ can be torn away from the radio long enough to watch his firstborn son grow up.

Yay, he made it! Blow out the candles and...

TA-DA! He'll get a new hairstyle soon.

It becomes apparent very early on that Jack takes after BJ. Toddler headbanging is adorable!

Bunny has a flavor. OM NOM NOM!

Jack: "I hits you cuz I luvs you, Bunny."

Cassidy is pregnant again. Looks like she's just going to collapse and hit her head on the toilet seat.

BJ is the hawtest congressman ever. <3

First snowfall!

MOAR SNOW!!!

BJ, I don't think he can read. You're safe.

Birthday time again! This time we threw a real party!

Before...

After!

*squee* He's got BJ's nose!

First order of business upon aging to child: SMUSTLE TIME!!!

Yep, definitely BJ's son...

In the meantime, BJ goes out and log rolls. Seriously BJ, in the winter?

I had to sell this thing once I got him away from it. The only reason I got it was because it was the cheapest autonomous body-building object available. Maybe I'll give them a nice ice-skating rink for the winter. Though with the impending arrival they may just get a new house (and mortgage to boot...yay for Simlogical mortgage shrubs!).

*looks at Jack*

*looks at bed*

*looks back at Jack*

You're not very bright.

Okay, maybe it's my fault. ACR and the included reservable bed hack wouldn't let him just hop into an unreserved bed. I had to bend the challenge rules to let him claim this bed so he could go to sleep.

Nanny shows up for no reason.

BJ and Cassidy: "Do you MIND?"
Nanny: "Not at all." *goes to take a bath*

Next update: New baby (babies?)
Old 08-22-2008, 02:20 AM   #13
Greg

So, we have a fastidious nanny and a baby boy who wears mascara. It's certainly an interesting family!

Log rolling? From Bon Voyage, maybe?
Old 08-22-2008, 11:41 AM   #14
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Hmm, must be the skintone that makes his eyelashes extra pretty. I assure you, I did not force the boy to wear mascara!

Yeah, log rolling is a Bon Voyage thing. Usually found on vacation lots, but buyable for home use. Bad idea when practicing a semi-hands-off approach to your simming, especially when combined with winter!
Old 08-23-2008, 02:12 AM   #15
Greg

Oh thank goodness!

I'm guessing that must be one of BeosBoxboy's skin tones. His guys look like they're wearing makeup.

Do sims get sick if they're in the swimming pool when the weather is cold?
Old 08-23-2008, 03:40 AM   #16
Hokieman
Solar Max

Nope, but you can drown one if you let them run out of energy.
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:49 AM   #17
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

I have default replacement skintones. Lemme see if I can place them...

Hmm, apparently an HP/Stefan blend, but the site I got them from is down. Then again, there's a chance that's one of the geneticized ones I downloaded, but I can't remember where I got them from.

I may have to go hunting for different defaults if all sims look like they have eyeshadow. The skin color and shading is beautiful but it bothers me when kids and babies appear to have makeup.

And if sims go swimming in the cold, they'll get cold really fast. They'll turn kinda bluish and eventually fall over, frozen solid. Another sim can come out and thaw them. The freezing itself doesn't kill, but they can die of hunger while frozen if they're not thawed in time.
Old 08-23-2008, 03:24 PM   #18
Hokieman
Solar Max

Kaylyn, maybe something is happening different in my game. Mine don't get cold as long as they stay in the pool. They only get cold when they get out. It looks to me like the pool doesn't change their temperature state, just holds it where it's at. If they are hot when they get in, they stay that way. Same with if they are cold. But if they are getting in and out to dive or slide, they do get cold in winter.
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:00 AM   #19
Greg

Must be a heated pool.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #20
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Hmm, maybe we have different hacks. Mine tend to all come from one site, with a few others here and there. I think I have a few dealing with temperature. I actually never checked what happens while they're swimming, always assumed cold water would freeze you in the winter...makes sense to me, which is why it probably doesn't work like that in the game!