Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #41
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

So, just to ease my confussion; Townies are in the N001 Charcters folder I emptied but Downtownies are not?

If not, is there another folder I need to zip up to force the game to use my carefully collected set of replacement templetes? (I reeeeaaallly don't want to add 78 Sims by hand!)
Old 07-17-2007, 07:14 AM   #42
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Only place I can find is:
C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Nightlife\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\D001 which comes with 78 characters, 45 lots and a neighborhood package.

On opening the D001_Neighborhood.package it shows 85 sims including 4 vampires and a handful of other NPCs including Ms Crumplebottom. Oddly the vampires are not listed as NPCs.

I rar'ed the directory last night and started a whole new My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 directory and setup new hoods, I've not seen any ill effects yet, but then I haven't actually played yet, I've been building.

My old game as it stood 36 hours ago is still quite safe, I just renamed the directory to My Documents\EA Games\Backup-The Sims 2 so the game couldn't see it.

MikeD
mikedelaney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #43
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirconia Wolf View Post
So, just to ease my confussion; Townies are in the N001 Charcters folder I emptied but Downtownies are not?

If not, is there another folder I need to zip up to force the game to use my carefully collected set of replacement templetes? (I reeeeaaallly don't want to add 78 Sims by hand!)
No, not exactly.

Townies are randomly generated using your replacement face templates and other cool stuff from your downloads, including binned hair.

Downtownies are generated from the full Sim templates in D001.

Mike, I think that neighborhood package is for the "ready to play" Downtown subhood.

I'll have to try MikeD's solution -- what's the worst that can happen? The game can crash when I go to a Downtown lot on a date? There won't be any Downtownies there?
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 07:55 AM   #44
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
Mike, I think that neighborhood package is for the "ready to play" Downtown subhood.
That does appear to be the case.

RARing and killing the whole D001 folder left me without the ready to play downtown. I'm guessing RARing and killing just the D001\Characters folder should leave you with the ready to play downtown with new or zero downtownies.

Some of the non NPC characters are fairly important as they're the templates for cooks and servers etc. There are only 5 NPCs listed.

MikeD
Old 07-17-2007, 11:53 AM   #45
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Something Greg might like to know... the Grand Vamp templates seem to be 00021, 00022, 00024, and 00025. I wonder if just zipping and removing those 4 would just disable vampires... Well, that's what test hoods are for, right?

Any clue which are the cooks and servers, short of opening each one and looking at their clothes?

Zirconia, did you ever try popping in other Sims in place of the ones in the folders you zipped and deleted? Well, that's what test hoods are for too!
Old 07-17-2007, 12:06 PM   #46
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Any clue which are the cooks and servers, short of opening each one and looking at their clothes?
I still get those, but I don't seem to have any other downtownies. Other than the cook, servers, host and DJ the only people I see are my playable and her 3 next door neighbors. I'm waiting for 7pm to see if a vampire might show up, but I forgot to install the hack that makes their appearance on a lot 75% instead of 15%.

Definitely looks as if we'd have to generate sims to replace the missing ones. Maybe not the whole 78 though.

MikeD
Old 07-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #47
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Oh fiddle sticks! Just when I thought I was safe from Ugly Townies, it seems I am not safe from Ugly Downtownies, eh?

No I haven't tried doing anything to the "Downtown" Charcters folder yet, but the idea about replacing those files with others is interesting.

Just had a thought: is this only a problem with the Maxis-made Downtown hood?? My policy is that each Maxis default sub-hood gets "assigned" just once, and then it's strickly custom mades- albiet often populated with my wonderful set of extracted Maxis lots (thanks for the instructions Miros1! ) to save a bit of time.

For example, here is my 'hood layout: (Shopping, "Night Life" & College Town. )

Pleasantview = Bluewater Village > Downtown > Sim State University
Strangetown = Custom > Custom > La Fiesta Tech
Veronaville = Custom > Custom > Academe Le Tour
Riverblossom Hills = Custom > Custom > Custom

(Haven't re-created my other main hoods yet, but plan to today. Also, I've been busy building & don't think I have yet played one of my custom "downtown" hoods, so I don't know who all is lurking there! )

**** QUICKY UPDATE ****

I just re-created my "Experimental Acres" hood - complete with all custom subhoods- & quit the game to check things out with SimPE.

The results show a mere 243 Sims in the Sim Browser. This includes Cyd, the Critturs, the usual number of starting Strays & all NPC "types" (Cops, Maids, Proffesors, etc) & a small assortment of never-before-seen Townies/Dormies with nicer names. (No more Goopy! )

Not sure yet if this includes any Downtownies or not, but the Vampires are there, so...?

The Katt/Kim families (occupied "Pets" lots) I had already placed in other hoods to keep them from showing up ever again (it seemed nicer than out-right deleted them) & the "Seasons" families (Ramaswami, Ottomas & O'Mackey) where not there ethier, as I had ziped up the G002* Character folder after placing them safely in Riverblossom Hills.

Cyd & the Critturs are there on purpose, as they are the "star players" in a strange running storyline of my own devising.

I will be taking Cyd downtown later today & will let you know what I findout.

Oh & to Mikedelaney16: where did you find the "Vampire %" mod??

*For reasons I do not fully understand, my "Seasons" character folder was called G002, not G001.

Last edited by Zirconia Wolf : 07-17-2007 at 05:32 PM. Reason: added an Update
Zirconia Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:31 PM   #48
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
I'd like an adjustable vampire % hack. Sometimes, I don't want any. Sometimes, I'd like a whole freaking crowd!

Last edited by Miros1 : 07-17-2007 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:36 PM   #49
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedelaney16 View Post
I still get those, but I don't seem to have any other downtownies. Other than the cook, servers, host and DJ the only people I see are my playable and her 3 next door neighbors. I'm waiting for 7pm to see if a vampire might show up, but I forgot to install the hack that makes their appearance on a lot 75% instead of 15%.

Definitely looks as if we'd have to generate sims to replace the missing ones. Maybe not the whole 78 though.

MikeD
I'm afraid if there's any Sims in that folder, they're used as a "pool" to generate as many Downtownies as needed. So if there's only one in the pool and the game wants 20 -- you'll get 20 of the same dang Sim.

But like I said... that's what test 'hoods are for.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 PM   #50
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
*For reasons I do not fully understand, my "Seasons" character folder was called G002, not G001.
BTW, I have two folders for Seasons:

G001 in E:\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\Seasons\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods

G002 in E:\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\Seasons\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate

No, I don't use the standard install paths, but I think you'll figure it out...
Old 07-17-2007, 07:01 PM   #51
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Ok, as a full list of stuff to zip and delete:

1) Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods\N001, N002, and N003
if you don't want Pleasantview, Strangetown, and Veronaville to reset when you rename or otherwise hide your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2.
2) Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods\N001\Character s
If you don't do #1.
3) Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 University\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\U001, U002, and U003
if you only want to build your own Unis
4) \Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Nightlife\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\D001
5) \Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Open For Business\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\B001 to remove Bluewater Village
6) Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Pets\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\P001
7) Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Seasons\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods\G001
8) Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Seasons\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\G002

Can anyone think of anything I left off before I incorporate this into the first post, after testing this in a test 'hood?

Then I get to see if I can drop Sims into those folders and have them be created in every 'hood... gah, what have I got myself into?

Last edited by Miros1 : 07-17-2007 at 07:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:31 PM   #52
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Ok, I've actually played this hood, and no sign of anyone ugly.

I thought the following was somewhat interesting... This is the order the Sims were created in, with filename and Instance numbers.

Jocasta MacNeil N001_User00000.package 0x04 playable
Charles Wong N001_User00001.package 0x11 Townie
Marilyn Campbell N001_User00002.package 0x12 paper girl
Caleb Adkins N001_User00003.package 0x13 first Carden Club member
Alice Lee N001_User00004.package 0x14 Garden Club or townie
Charles Hart N001_User00005.package 0x15 Garden Club
Gertrude Fleming N001_User00006.package 0x16 Garden Club
Florence Pratt N001_User00007.package 0x17 maid
Jo McClain N001_User00008.package 0x18 gardner
Latimer N001_User00009.package 0x19 adoptable dog
Boone N001_User00010.package 0x1A adopted cat (by Jocasta)
Brandon Reese N001_User00011.package 0x1B pet adoption officer
Eloise Watson N001_User00012.package 0x1C gypsy
Clayton Barnett N001_User00013.package 0x1D carpool driver
Geisha N001_User00014.package 0x1E Wolf
Gayle Boss N001_User00015.package 0x1F mail carrier

Now to go to a community lot... then a downtown lot...
Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 AM   #53
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirconia Wolf View Post
Quote:
I'd like an adjustable vampire % hack. Sometimes, I don't want any. Sometimes, I'd like a whole freaking crowd!
Well, it's kind of adjustable, sort of.

It's from Squinge at:
http://www.insimenator.net/showthrea...hlight=vampire

This mod increases the default (15%) to 25%, 50% or 75% chance for the grand vampire to appear on downtown lots.

EP2 is required to use this mod. (Works fine for me in Seasons)

Only install one version (per session).
GrandVampMoreOften%25.zip (717 Bytes)
GrandVampMoreOften%50.zip (718 Bytes)
GrandVampMoreOften%75.zip (719 Bytes)

Getting a whole freaking crowd requires a different hack, like maybe a teleporter.

MikeD
Old 07-18-2007, 12:06 AM   #54
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Thanks Mike! Off to play that community lot!
Old 07-18-2007, 12:25 AM   #55
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Then I get to see if I can drop Sims into those folders and have them be created in every 'hood... gah, what have I got myself into?
The creation and uploading of such a quantity of sims should probably be something of a community effort. Uploading them all to a forum individually would make for tedious downloading and uploading. I do have a possible solution to that though.

I would also suggest "no custom content" so anybody could use them. Unfortunately this possibly knocks Warlokks meshes out of the picture. Though I suppose if we advertised it as needing them and pointed users to the right files...

It took me hours to get all the relevant Warlokk stuff. I didn't download Powergirl or Bootygirl though, just the more realistic ones.

MikeD
Old 07-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #56
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Ohmygoodness! You've really been testing this stuff! (I've just been winging it, LOL!)

Here are the "numbers" I know for my current hoods.

*RIVERBLOSSOM HILLS* (All 3 sub-hoods are custom ones.)
Unlinked = 0
Dead = 65
Playable = 26
Non-Playable = 298
0x84 Active Files = 389

*PLEASANTVIEW* (All 3 sub-hoods are Maxis defaults.)
Unlinked =0
Dead = 45
Playable = 53
Non-Playable = 342
0x84 Active Files = 440

*STRANGETOWN* (sub-hoods are 2 custom & 1 Maxis default.)
Unlinked = 0
Dead = 29
Playable = 45
Non-Playable = 307
0x84 Active Files = 381

*VERONAVILLE* (sub-hoods are 2 custom & 1 Maxis default.)
Unlinked = 0
Dead = 24
Playable = 38
Non-Playable = 303
0x84 Active Files = 365

*EXPERIMENTAL ACRES* (All custom.)
Unlinked = 0
Dead = 9
Playable = 1
Non-Playable = 205
0x84 Active Files = 215

*HIDDEN VALLEY* (All custom.)
Unlinked = 0
Dead = 9
Playable = 1
Non-Playable = 205
0x84 Active Files = 215

The fact that "I see dead people" listed (snicker) in Experimental Acres & Hidden Valley (which where just created today) is interesting. Since the only folders I have zipped/deleted are the N001 Characters & the G002 Characters ones, I assume that default dead people must be in one of those other folders you listed. (Hmmm....on second thought, I wonder if I included the default cemetary as one of my packaged lots....)

It's also interesting that I didn't notice any dead Sims in Experimantal Acres or Hidden Valley when I looked with SimPE. Also, SimPE shows lots of "unlinked" Sims- especially in Pleasantview- yet the Census Tool says no.

I did take Cyd E. (the Cyd in Experimental Acres) downtown (Crypt-o-Club lot) & there were several Downtownies there (who looked great, btw) so at least I know that my game is drawing on my lovely downloads folder for it's Townies, Dormies and Downtownies now, even though I only emptied those 2 Character folders.

(Thanks for the link to the Vampire hack! )

Last edited by Greg : 05-25-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Zirconia Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 12:46 AM   #57
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Downtown at Cryptos in a default Downtown with no Downtownies. Only servers, NPCs, Ms C and playable Eamon Buckley live in this part of town. (The D001\Characters directory was emptied before creating)

Eamon is visiting Cryptos with his good friend Laura Turner from an almost equally sparsely populated Pleasantview.
Only Laura and the ClassicPinup family live in Pleasantview.

GrandVampMoreOften.package 75% installed.

And along comes Count Harvey Armstrong.

Not sure if this would happen in a non default Downtown though.

MikeD

Last edited by mikedelaney16 : 07-18-2007 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar correction
Old 07-18-2007, 01:31 AM   #58
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

What a pathetic vampire.

In the 8 hours he was on that lot, he didn't even bite one neck. I guess he was too busy drinking cocktails, eating lobster and dancing.

MikeD
Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 AM   #59
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Lol! I did the Community Lot visit, plus started a kitchen fire and called the exterminator. On my Community Lot, there were only the Townies and Garden Club members as visitors, plus the Maitre d', Waitress, Cook, and Barista. I put in a bar, but no bartender spawned.... I'll ask what I did wrong in another thread.

Here's the info for the next batch of Sims:
Amos - User00016 - 0x20 wolf
Tina Barton - User00017 - 0x21 firefighter
Irma Wilcox - user00018 - 0x22 barista
Anne Frank - user00019 - 0x23 cook
Ellen Clayton - user00020 - 0x24 townie
Angela Mathis - user00021 - 0x25 maitre d'
Brenda Murphy - user00022 - 0x26 waitress
Clark Barker - user00023 - 0x27 exterminator

Apparently, NPCs count toward the total number of Sims for purposes of determining when another Townie is needed for "balance."
Old 07-18-2007, 11:31 AM   #60
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Ok, where did my last post go to...

Anyhow, I added a Uni and promoted one of the Townie teens to Uni student.

My new Sims are: a streaker, a cafeteria worker, 24 professors, and 4 dormies... I'm currently at 59 "real" Sims!

I'm thinking we don't need to create 78 Downtownies (or any other flavor of uncontrollable); if we do about 10 Townies, 10 Downtownies and 10 Dormies, that should be enough so your Sims won't die of loneliness.

Apparently, Townies are created whenever a controllable visits a Community Lot in the base 'hood or a Shopping District. Downtownies are created by each visit to a Community Lot downtown.

Now to visit a Uni community lot. Then to add more stores to each subhood. Then to add extra subhoods... dang, this is complicated!