Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2008, 04:16 AM   #1
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Default FireFox Browser & File Saving Querry

I figured that since this isn't really a Sims question that I had best not ask it under the Help section!

Anyway here's my problem:

I was trying to download some free MP3 files. The instructions for doing so were to right click & select Save Target (File) As...blah blah blah.

The thing is, when I was using FireFox (my default browser) I couldn't get the options to Save Target/File. All I got were options to Save Link, which of course was just an html deal & not the MP3 file I wanted. Switching over to IE "cured" the problem but I would really rather not have to switch back & forth between browsers & was hoping that someone out there who is a more experienced FireFox user could tell me how to get it to save files/targets instead of only links.

Thanks,

-ZW

(Oh, in case anyone cares; the MP3 files in question are "nature" type sounds that I am now using in place of the repetitive Buy/Build/CAS mode music options...so in a way, I guess my question is Sims related! )
Old 05-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Yeah, it's a good idea to keep it so that anyone looking in the Help section will find Sims help things. It could get frustrating for newbies otherwise.

This sounds like a question for someone who is very familiar with Firefox.
Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 AM   #3
TomP
I'm a Computer Nut

Well you clicked the right action, it's just the website and Firefox are not interacting very well. There are sites where the link will point to a redirect page and sometimes this will confuse firefox and will download the redirect page and not the file the redirect points to.

One thing to try would be to ignore the site's instructions about right clicking and just click on the links as you would any other link.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:51 AM   #4
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Sounds cool!

Will GetRight work with Firefox? It's fairly good at handling redirections like that.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomP
One thing to try would be to ignore the site's instructions about right clicking and just click on the links as you would any other link.
I tried that & was only able to get the track to play, not download. Very strange! On the "plus" side, at least I know I can resort to IE if I have to...I just hate doing that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1
Sounds cool!

Will GetRight work with Firefox? It's fairly good at handling redirections like that.
I stopped using GetRight when I joined SimsHost, as it seemed to freak out when downloading from those sites, but I think I'll fire it up again...I loved GetRight!

As to my "altered" Buy/Build/etc sounds, Lord yes, they are cool! I can finally spend some nice "Zen time" when I am browsing though catalogs instead of listening to the same jarring tracks I've been listening to since I started my Sims 2 adventure! Given how long it can take me to set up some lots, it was critical for my sanity (& my PC's survival) that I do something about it!

My ultimate goal is to use Free Time's Custom Radio Station feature & set up ambient Day (birds, wind chimes, etc) Night (frogs, owls, etc) & Ocean (waves) stations for the in-game radios, thereby giving me some nice soothing background sounds in Live mode too. Of course, I have to get my game up to a Free Time install first, but hey; dreams keep us going! (Actually, even without Free Time this would be possible just by changing what one of the default stations played, but hey; why make things easy on myself? )

-ZW
Old 05-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Yeah, SimsHost was not GetRight friendly. I still have it in my QuickLaunch for sites like TSR anyhow.

I might go ahead and change the in-game stations, since it'll be a long time before I get FreeTime!

BTW, where'd you find the cool nature sounds?

Last edited by Miros1 : 05-04-2008 at 04:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Here's my favorite so far:
http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/Ambience.shtml

Another nice one:
http://nature-downloads.naturesounds.ca/

Some nice ones here too:
http://www.futurewaveshaper.com/

This one has some stranger stuff, like animal growls & "household" sounds:
http://www.a1freesoundeffects.com/

-ZW

Update: I just re-activated GetRight & all systems are go! It works wonderfully with FireFox! Yippee!

Last edited by Zirconia Wolf : 05-04-2008 at 09:08 PM. Reason: added an update
Zirconia Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 12:56 AM   #8
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Thanks! Now this really is a Sims question!