Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2007, 05:58 AM   #1
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Default Removing A Sub-Hood?

Is it possible to remove a sub-hood from a Base Neighborhood after it has been created without causing BFBVFS???

For reasons I cannot determine, the Briney Fjord & Crystal Springs terrain maps (which I just used to create clean College Towns in 2 separate new Base Hoods) seem to be defective in my game; in the "normal" hood view most of the foliage appears as funky "streaky" things & there is a HUGE lag when I try to move the camera even the least little bit. As soon as I open a menu (Lots, Sims or Decorative) the trees look great & the lag goes away.

This is incredibly annoying & I would like to use another map for the College Towns in those 2 hoods, so was wondering if there was a way to delete them rather than just creating the new "replacement" College Towns & not using those ones as I am trying to keep my redundant character files to a minimum & didn't want 2 sets of default Uni NPCs cluttering up my files.

(I don't have SimCity4 so there is now way for me to open up those maps to see what the heck the problem might be.)
Old 12-31-2007, 09:27 AM   #2
Miros1
Goddess for Life

First, back up, just in case I'm wrong.

1) Check the Sim count for the hoods.
2) Start the game.
3) Load one hood.
4) Create a new University sub-hood.
5) Delete the other one with the trash can in the Uni subhood picker.
6) Repeat 3-5 for the other hood.
7) Quit.
8) Check the Sim count again.

I don't think it creates new professors, dormies, mascots or coaches.

For my information, you're still running with the "no ugly townies" option, aren't you?
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:21 PM   #3
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Thanks for the suggestion: I'll go & give it a try!

As to my game file set-up: I started (& am still currently playing) with a up-to-NightLife install & have now done away with (scorched) the N001, N002, N003, D001, U001, U002 & U003 folders (yes, I zipped them up first!) & have a complete set of face templates & Jordi's name file. As far as "re-generating" mods go, I only have antiredundancy (which effects Maids & such, not Townies/Downtownies) & that's it. I have InSim, LotDebugger & a couple other NL compatible favs, but nothing else that effects Sim generation.

**** UPDATE *****

WooHoo! It worked like a charm! Now I wonder if I'm safe to remove the Briney Fjord & Crystal Springs maps from my SC4 folder? Not sure if it will be a problem since they are Maxis-made ones...

Last edited by Zirconia Wolf : 12-31-2007 at 01:44 PM.
Zirconia Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:28 PM   #4
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Grin, zip 'em and see!

I think I heard you should always make a new subhood of the same type before deleting the only one.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
Hokieman
Solar Max

I have InSim, LotDebugger & a couple other NL compatible favs, but nothing else that effects Sim generation.

Zirconica Wolf - what is LotDebugger and what does it do ? - that's one I haven't run across
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #6
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Why did you have to create a new university if you just want to delete the old one?
Old 03-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #7
Miros1
Goddess for Life

LotDebugger is a hack from The Bad Place, and it's a box you stick in an unused corner of your lot. It has various functions to fix Sims and broken objects. Maybe I'll stick it in the trash can surround so I don't have to look at it.

Greg, I dunno. I just read a recommendation to do that. I guess the theory is that the dormies have to have a 'hood to live in, or maybe that your game will generate more dormies or a second set of professors when you add a new university after deleting all your old ones. Since I don't want more NPCs, I'll keep making new subhoods before deleting the last existing one.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:09 AM   #8
Hokieman
Solar Max

Miros, as Elvis would say: Thankyouverrrymuch!

Greg, I think the profs and NPCs only get made the 1st time you make a unihood. I run all three built in subhoods with my base hood and the same professors & NPCs show up in all 3. Never tried a custom unihood. Tho once the dormies move in, they're in whichever hood you are playing until you empty the dorm. They used to change everytime you reactivated the dorm, but now it looks like the same ones keep coming back to the same dorm. Also, when you use the college directory to call somebody, all your sims in every active uni hood are listed. It seems to treat them all as one big campus in that regard.

Oops, missed what Miros was saying - if you delete all of the unihoods, the game does create new NPCs when you create a new one so you do get more of them.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:18 PM   #9
Greg

I see. If there is not an existing university, then the game thinks it needs to create a new crop of characters to populate it. So you end up with duplicate professors thises and thats.

That sounds like the kind of bug that EA might have fixed a long time ago.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:51 AM   #10
Hokieman
Solar Max

I don't think of it as a bug, more as a safe guard to overwriting characters that may have been modified or changed to a playable sim.

Take a look at your character files in one of your hoods. They are consecutively numbered without a break unless you've physically gone in and removed one. The game doesn't do it. Even the sims you've deleted in game are still there. So it is possible to resurrect any sim you've ever had if you want too.

I've never wiped out all my unihoods at one time to see what would happen but I did notice when I built a new game that they have fixed something.

When I loaded Uni the 1st time after it came out, I had a lot of duplicate sim names (Meadow, Lucy, Marissa, etc). The sims were not duplicates, but the names were. With my rebuild with all the expansions and stuff packs, this time I have no duplicates in Uni like before. Meadow, Lucy, etc are still in the base game but as their orginal adult NPC selves, not as YAs too.

So I suspect that even if you deleted your Uni hoods, that new NPCs will be created as Miros said, but they will be different in both features and names as they will be created randomly. Since I've never done that, what I wonder is if the old NPCs will show up in the new hoods or will they be like deleted characters or dead sims with no tombstone/urn - never seen again in game unless you go in with SimPE and reactivate them.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:12 AM   #11
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I'm not curious enough to test this... double dormies wouldn't be too bad, but double professors (especially the one that keeps ringing the doorbell) would be sooo annoying!

BTW, you can get rid of the premade dormies by finding the U001 folder under C:\Program Files\EA Games\ and zipping and deleting it. There's a thread on Help Desk called "Get rid of ugly Townies" that discusses this.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #12
Greg

I'm not too worried about premade dormies since I have become quite adept at editing characters. Thank goodness for the folks who have given us the tools to fix all this stuff!