Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Default How to prevent ugly townies in new hoods!

I used to nuke my new hoods with deleteallcharacters. However, I started a new 'hood for experiments in growing up Dormies, and discovered it is actually kind of nice to have a good supply of preexisting Townies and Dormies to interact with, instead of waiting for them to slowly generate (reference Greg's Legacy hood where the poor guy almost died of aspiration failure before anything female showed up). I also found out the neutron bomb tends to leave crap behind which causes problems down the line, especially if you reset the "first Sim" index to 1...

Note: The sections marked "scorched earth approach" will remove (at least temporarily) all Maxis created neighborhoods, lots, and Sims. Examples:
1) If you should delete your entire My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 folder, the base 3 neighborhoods and Riverblossom Hills will not regenerate.
2) Downtown, Bluewater Village, and the 3 college campuses will not be available when adding subhoods.

You might want to package all the lots from all neighborhoods and subhoods before performing the "scorched earth" steps. Do use CleanInstaller to remove the original inhabitants from populated lots and save them with new names, like "Tinker house - unpopulated." You shouldn't need anything except "lotsegmentforupload" or the file named with the "name" of the lot.

To prevent ugly NPCs with stupid names from ever getting created:

1) Before starting your game:

a) Get some replacement face templates. There are quite a few available on Mod The Sims 2.

b) Get some essential hacks:
Jordi's better names hack. Thousands of names -- much less chance for duplications!
Various hacks to prevent excessive generation and repeated regeneration of non playable Sims, NPCs and strays.

c) No Ugly Townies:

Just prevent the Townies: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods/N001. Zip up the Characters folder (just in case you ever need them), then open it and delete its contents.

Scorched earth approach: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods. Zip and delete the N001, N002, and N003 folders.

d) No Moronic Dormies:

Just prevent the stupid college students: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 University/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/U001. Zip up the Characters folder, then delete it. Repeat for U002 and U003.

Scorched earth approach: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 University/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate. Zip and delete the U001, U002, and U003 folders.

Note: Secret Society members are either drafted from available Dormies or created as new Dormies who are immediately flagged as Secret Society members.

e) No Annoying Downtownies:
Warning! Sleepycat sez that the Downtownies are generated from hard coded templates cleverly hidden in some inaccessible place in the game. You might want to keep the Downtownies, who are not nearly as ugly as most Maxis Sims, since you will probably get duplicates when new Downtownies are generated from these templates. However, you can get rid of the service NPCs without too many ill effects.

Just skip the Downtown NPCs: Basically, you zip and delete selected files from Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Nightlife/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/D001/Characters. I'm checking to see which ones at present.

Just prevent the Downtownies: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Nightlife/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/D001. Zip up the Characters folder, then delete it.

Scorched earth approach: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Nightlife/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate. Zip and delete the D001 folder.

f) No Weird Bluewater Village Inhabitants:

Just prevent the inhabitants: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Open for Business/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/B001. Zip up the Characters folder, then delete it.

Scorched earth approach: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Open for Business/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/. Zip up the B001 folder, then delete it.

g) No Stupid Pets Families and Strays: Even if you delete the poorly trained Maxis animals, by default, your game will create 15 strays in your new hoods. There are hacks to prevent this generation.

Just prevent the families and strays: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Pets/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/P001. Zip up the Characters folder, then delete it. Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Pets/TSData/Res/UserData/LotCatalog. Zip together all files starting with cx_Character_, then delete them.

Prevent the families and strays, but leave the pet adoption pool: Perform the steps above, except for deleting the Characters folder. Open the Characters folder, and delete everything except P001_User00069.package, P001_User00070.package, P001_User00072.package, P001_User00073.package, P001_User00074.package, and P001_User00075.package.

Scorched earth approach: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Pets/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate. Zip and delete the P001 folder. Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Pets/TSData/Res/UserData. Zip the LotCatalog folder, open it, and delete the contents.

Scorched earth, retaining pet adoption pool: Perform steps above, except for deleting the P001 folder. Open the P001 folder, and delete everything except P001_Neighborhood.png, P001_Neighborhood.package, and the Characters folder. Open the Characters folder, and delete everything except P001_User00069.package, P001_User00070.package, P001_User00072.package, P001_User00073.package, P001_User00074.package, and P001_User00075.package.

Also check out Inge's method for how to move the produce of puppy-kitten mills to other 'hoods which is also a sensible way to deal with the zillions of Maxis produced strays!

Update! Zirconia and I figured out the bestest way to generate a pet adoption pool. Delete the Maxis pet adoption pool with its two puppies and kittens, and recreate it by using Christianlov's BabyPetCreator hack to generate several large litters, which are then given up for adoption. Voila! lots of puppies and kittens for your Sims to fulfill their pet wants!

h) Prevent the Plant people families:

Just prevent the Seasons families: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Seasons/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods/G001. Zip up the Characters folder, then delete it. Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Seasons/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/G002. Zip up the Characters folder, then delete it.

Scorched earth approach: Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Seasons/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods. Zip and delete the G001 folder. Open up Program Files/EA GAMES/The Sims 2 Seasons/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate. Zip and delete the G002 folder.

i) No Annoying Tourists: I just got BV, so I'm testing this myself!

Note: The game will spawn a few replacement families, so there will be a lot of lag the first time your Sim(s) go on vacation. Constant spawning of Tour Guides and Charlatans is a known bug, requiring a hack or a Maxis patch to fix this.

Just prevent the tourists: Open up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 Bon Voyage/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/. Zip up the V001 folder, then delete it. Zip up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 Bon Voyage/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/A001, then delete the Thumbnails, Characters, and Storytelling folders. Zip up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 Bon Voyage/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/M001, then delete the Thumbnails, Characters, and Storytelling folders. Zip up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 Bon Voyage/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/T001, then delete the Thumbnails, Characters, and Storytelling folders.

Scorched earth approach: Open up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 Bon Voyage/TSData/Res. Zip and delete the NeighborhoodTemplate folder.

Note: Apparently, there is no way to add the special BV lot to a custom vacation 'hood, so you might not want to use the Scorched Earth approach with this EP.

j) No Free Time residents: (Just testing this myself because I got FT for Hannaka.)

Just prevent the new stupid ugly people: Open up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 Free Time/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate/F002. Zip up the Characters and Thumbnails folders, then delete them. Open up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 FreeTime/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods/F001. Zip up and delete the Characters, Storytelling and Thumbnails folders.

Scorched earth approach: Open up /Program Files/The Sims 2 Free Time/TSData/Res/NeighborhoodTemplate. Zip the F002 folder and delete it. Open up /Program Files/The Sims 2 Free Time/TSData/Res/User Data/Neighborhoods/. Zip and delete the F001 folder.

Note: One of the rewards for each hobby is a pass to use a secret lot to practice that hobby. Apparently, you need the lots in the F002 folder, so don't "scorch earth" on that folder.

k) No Apartment Life "Tenants": (Just got AL myself, please be patient.)

Just prevent the new stupid ugly people: Open up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 Apartment Life/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods/E001 and zip up and delete the Characters and Storytelling folders. Open up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 Apartment Life/TSData/Res/UserData/NeighborhoodTemplate/E002 and zip up the Characters folder.

Scorched earth approach: Open up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 Apartment Life/TSData/Res/UserData/Neighborhoods and zip up and delete the E001 folder. Open up /Program Files/EA Games/The Sims 2 Apartment Life/TSData/Res/UserData/NeighborhoodTemplate and zip up and delete the E002 folder.

Note: Apparently, witches get to go to a special "secret lot," so you might not want to delete the E002 folder.

2) Run the game and create a new neighborhood. The game will create one Townie for every non-Downtown community lot visit, one Downtownie for every Downtown community lot visit, enough Dormies to fill your first Dorm, and all the necessary NPCs, such as paper carriers, mail carriers, maids, nannies, vampires, headmasters, repair people, coaches, mascots, cheerleaders, charlatains, tour guides, animal control officers, garden club ladies, etc. as they are needed. If you want more at the beginning, especially Townies or Downtownies, you have two choices:

a) Use boolprop testingcheatsenabled true, then shift-click the mailbox to mass produce random Sims.

b) Make some Sims that you like, then use Inge Jones' bush to make them Townies or Downtownies. Longer tutorial here

c) Make some Sims that you like in another 'hood, then use SimSurgery to copy them onto the Maxis Townies, Downtownies or Social Group members, or non-controllables made with the a) method.

Remember that Dormies are just YA Townies; you'll need to use either method on a University lot to mass produce Dormies!

If you mass produce or hand tailor your Townies, Downtownies, or Dormies, you might also want to use hacks to prevent random creation of more non-playable Sims when visiting Community lots.

Waiting for info on AL Tenant creation.

Note: Vista users: Vista won't let you create the zip files inside Program Files. Just save the zip file to My Documents and drag the zip file back by hand.

Last edited by Miros1 : 11-27-2009 at 01:11 AM.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

So far, I've only tried 1(b) and 1(c), but at least I know that it works! I'm still getting ugly townies, but at least they're new ugly townies!

The names hack is definitely worth the trouble. I think I installed Jordi's Altered default NPC and townie names because I have not installed Pests.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #3
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Question:

If I do manage to get the default townies "erased", make custom sub-hoods but use a default Maxis lot, what happens?

-ZW

Last edited by Zirconia Wolf : 05-10-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Zirconia Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #4
Miros1
Goddess for Life

If I'm reading correctly... it should work.

I did go through the Maxis hoods and package all the lots, then repackage the populated ones as unpopulated. Is that what you mean? It works fine!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:18 PM   #5
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

(I gotta get better at explaining my self! )

Actually, yeah, I think that covers it.

After I get the "icky" Townies all nice & zipped up, I don't want to screw things up & noticed your step #3 about not using the default Maxis lots in my nice, fresh, custom-made sub-hoods. Since I really suck at designing community lots for "Nightlife Destination" sub-hoods (I just don't "think" big city) & tend to just slap in the Maxis-made Downtown lot in every base-hood I make, & was wondering what would happen if I just used those pre-made "city" lots...

So I can just repackage them as unpopulated? Cool! Dumb question, but how can I tell which lots are the default ones & which are my de-populated versions? (As you can tell, I really don't do much in the way of Lot Packaging! )

-ZW
Old 05-11-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Okay, maybe I am more confussed than I thought!

Do you mean you actually packaged the default lots or do you mean you just moved them into the lot bin with the "move to bin" option?

I guess I don't "get" how you are able to access a packaged lot in order to change it's status to un-populated.

I'm really (mainly) only interested in the pre-made Community Lots that came with the default Downtown hood.

-ZW
Old 05-11-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I packaged them in the game, then opened them in Clean Installer, unchecked the stuff to do with Sims and families and collections (one of the ways families are "connected"), leaving only the "lotsegmentforupload" (I think that's what it's called) checked. Then Save it with a different name. So "Landgraab Mansion.Sims2Pack" would be saved as "Landgraab Mansion - empty.Sims2Pack"

Now when you install the Sims2Pack files, you'll get the house minus the inhabitants.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:26 AM   #8
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Thanks! (Now that I remembered to set the Clean Installer as my Sim2Pack file opener, things are going smoothly )

Got a strange question now: one of the lots I packaged was a de-fault Downtown Community Lot (I think it was the North Park or something) & when I opened it I saw alot of items from Artistic Habbitats listed! How is this possible on a Maxis made lot?

-ZW

(If I'm dealing with community rather than residntial lots, is it okay to leave all the "decore" items still checked, or...? I'm not sure how/if community lots are tied into Townies... )

Last edited by Zirconia Wolf : 05-12-2007 at 04:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:47 AM   #9
Miros1
Goddess for Life

If you packed that lot on your machine, the "packer" snagged a bunch of your downloads as well. Stuff that's used in the house will definitely be included, so will stuff in your Teleports folder. Other than those two things, it's kind of random if it snags anything else.

Yet another reason to use Clean Installer... nothing goes to Teleports!

I always uncheck all the objects in lots for my personal use too, just leave the "lotsegment" checked.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:50 AM   #10
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Basically the stupid Maxis installer jams your downloads into Teleport, then the game moves the objects to the main Downloads folder and the lots to wherever they're supposed to be. Screw that.

Use Clean Installer and have them go directly into a sub directory of Downloads!
Old 05-12-2007, 02:50 PM   #11
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

I second the motion to scew that! (I hate things installing themselves where ever they please on my PC! )

I hadn't realised that Clean Installer could also put things where I want them! This is very cool! (Also didn't realise that Sims2Packs were being jammed full of extra stuff because of the friggen Sims2Pack program itself! Sheesh! )

-ZW
Old 05-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #12
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Between CleanInstaller and DDO, Delphy is in the running for Sims utility god!

I missed one of your questions in the flurry last night... The only Sim that's tied to any community lot is a playable Sim who owns a community lot. Even that can be cleaned up by packaging the lot, deleting it from the 'hood, reinstalling the packed lot, and placing the lot back on its original location.

I used to have to do that with the owned businesses in Blue Water back when I used the "nuke" (deleteallcharacters) approach to get rid of the ugly Maxis created Sims.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:21 PM   #13
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirconia Wolf View Post
(Also didn't realise that Sims2Packs were being jammed full of extra stuff because of the friggen Sims2Pack program itself! Sheesh! )

-ZW
Yup. I had to take all my lots off line because are full of custom content that has never been on the lot! Before I put them back on line, I'll have to go through each of them with Clean Installer and create a file with the lot segment only.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #14
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

I feel kinda bad now.

All this time I thought that "stowaway" stuff was ending up in peoples Sim2Packages because they either just didn't care what it could to to other peoples games, or they knew what it could do & were just being jerks.

Never thought it was friggen package-maker itself doing the damage!

(Oh, thanks for all the advise! I'm making my "blank" lot files with ease now! )

-ZW
Old 05-13-2007, 02:28 PM   #15
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Well, if you run the game, quit, and run the game again between installing stuff with the Maxis installer and packaging a lot, the Teleport folder should get cleared out, which does reduce the "stowaways."

Why do you think we've been abusing a Certain Person (points up 2 posts) for months?
Old 05-14-2007, 03:05 PM   #16
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

(snicker... )

Getting back to the Townie theme, I can't seem to find the P001 or G001 folders. I looked in Program Files\ EA Games\ The Sims 2\ TSData\ Res\ Neighborhood Templetes, & all I found was 1 "file-that-looked-like-a-jpg" but when I tried to open it PaintShop said it was an invalid file.

So where are my P001 & G001 folders?

EDIT TO ADD: Oops! Found them in the Pets & Seasons folders respectively....

-ZW

Last edited by Zirconia Wolf : 05-14-2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:16 PM   #17
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Lemme look...

P001 is in Program Files\ EA Games\ The Sims 2 Pets\ TSData\ Res\ Neighborhood Template.

G001 is in Program Files\ EA Games\ The Sims 2 Seasons\ TSData\ Res\ Neighborhood Template.

Eek! While I was checking this out for you, I discovered that the Seasons install helpfully put more junk in the P001 folder! <banishes files to the compressed files> I better check the Townie generating folders too!
Old 05-14-2007, 03:24 PM   #18
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Yup. I had to take all my lots off line because are full of custom content that has never been on the lot! Before I put them back on line, I'll have to go through each of them with Clean Installer and create a file with the lot segment only.
The difficult part of that is loading them up in a clean game to see what disappears... Delphy added an "uncheck all" button, so you only need to click that, then the lotsegment check box, then Save As.

I think I have clean versions of most of your lots, due to the original versions containing dmaSims' hookers and the Uni version of phonehack (you don't wanna know what that does to a game with later EPs).
Old 05-17-2007, 05:19 PM   #19
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Okay, another silly question:

I packed up a bunch of lots from the game & opened/un-checked/re-saved/installed-them-in-my-Downloads-folder with the Clean Installer & notice that the files are not "package" (no SimPE logo) files but someother type. (2 were generated for each lot, a SIMS2TEMP & a SIMS2IMPORT file. )

In other words, the files I just installed look nothing like what's in the Maxis Lot folder.

Have I screwed up or are these "new" lots not supposed to be regulaur package files? How do I make them into normal packages?

-ZW
Old 05-17-2007, 05:46 PM   #20
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Okay, I think I have managed to make actuall PACKAGE files (via SimPE) & am now wondering:

A) What should I do with the original TEMP & IMPORT files

&

B) Do I need 2 files per lot? (SimPE made Package file copies of both the TEMP & IMPORT files for each lot. )

I want to avoid any BFBVFS!

-ZW