Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #21
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Yep, if other people are using your puter, crank all the default settings way down... then you can turn on the things you need for your sites.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #22
FredsG
Banned

LOL...there you go again, talkin to me like i know what i'm doing, thanks for the vote of confidence, but i am so ignorant to just trying to figure out What you all are talkin about, i usually can't figure out Where to go to get it done...i tried readin that book internet for Dummies...LOL...too many choices in there too...but you're right no-one else is going to use this ham for now...she's all mine...kinda makes retirement not so boring, that's for sure!
FredsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 04:58 PM   #23
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Don't worry, FredsG; I don't know how to do whatever Rose was talking about, either!
Old 11-16-2007, 05:22 PM   #24
Miros1
Goddess for Life

On the previous page, where I told how to turn off 3rd party cookies and ActiveX... well, you just scroll through everything slowly and pick the lowest possible settings for everything. The things that annoy you too much, you turn up a hair, until the puter works the way you want but still annoys the heck out of anyone else using the puter!

Yes, I used to use AdAware... but I was deleting the same darn cookies every freaking week. I turned off 3rd party cookies, haven't seen a DataMiner cookie in a year!
Old 11-16-2007, 08:33 PM   #25
FredsG
Banned

Ha! nice try there Greg! did you see the GREEK you were so kindly trying to speak to me on page one...LOL...i was going to have to spend the entire day just figuring out the abbreviations and what it all meant before i could get back to you on it: laugh: i am so glad it fixed itself!...last week when my whole system crashed my ISP sent me this free Virus/Spyware software from AVG...after i installed it, i had these things called trojan horses all over the place and adware comin out my hard-drive...then it whistled real loud and died...my sister said i probably got a (worm?), but i don't know what that is either...all i know is that this AVG seems to be doin an okay job, i haven't had any more problems...i'll hit the books again one of these days so when i scroll, i'll know what i'm scrolling about!
Old 11-16-2007, 10:57 PM   #26
Miros1
Goddess for Life

AVG is really good IMHO. I use it!
Old 11-17-2007, 02:52 AM   #27
FredsG
Banned

That is really good to know, cuz now if i have problems i have a better way to compare my software to yours...like tonight when i just now tried to get into insim...again...i can't even get the home page up to sign in...again...it's got to be a problem with my server, cuz i seem to be able to go every-where else i want...now this is just getting frustrating do you suppose changing my server would help? i'm using a local dial-up from a small town, but the actual connection is supposed to be located in NY? Maybe i should just hook-up to the cable connection and be done with this dial-up all together?...any advice on that ya'all?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:39 AM   #28
shorty943
Banned

G-day there FredsG, Shorty from Australia here.

Ditch that dial-up honey. It doesn't matter if you get cable, landline telephone line based or tight beam wireless, get onto "broadband internet".
I was over at InSim last night, no problems. Usually, the only time I can't get into a site, is if the site is actually shutdown for maintenance. If they are busy, they will always be slow, but normally there is no trouble getting to the site.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:15 PM   #29
Greg

Your mileage may vary, Shorty. On the average of about once a day there will be times when Insim just doesn't respond for me. Maybe there's something special about those upside-down electrons!
Old 11-17-2007, 06:45 PM   #30
Greg

For example, at this very moment, I can't get Insimadult to load. (Darn it. I wanted to answer a message there.)

It might be a coincidence that just a few minutes ago I got an intrusion attempt where an adversitement linked to xzsadswokwweweqlodwqwweweoqwewew.com attempted to start up an ActiveX control that would run Microsoft Outlook on my machine. Something dangerous is happening here.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:46 PM   #31
Greg

And now, as if by magic, it's back. I stopped and restarted Internet Explorer. It didn't come up the first time I tried, but the second try worked.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #32
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
For example, at this very moment, I can't get Insimadult to load. (Darn it. I wanted to answer a message there.)

It might be a coincidence that just a few minutes ago I got an intrusion attempt where an adversitement linked to xzsadswokwweweqlodwqwweweoqwewew.com attempted to start up an ActiveX control that would run Microsoft Outlook on my machine. Something dangerous is happening here.

Oh hell, there was only a warning from ZDNet the other day on a new attack on Outlook and IE and Activex.

VB scripting and Activex. MS is sometimes it's own worst enemy. They released Visual Basic Studio, free to the hacker crowd.

Forget IE, except for system updates, Go Mozilla.
Firefox browser, Thunderbird email. That's my combination, along with Avast AV and Spybot S&D. Mozilla works in *nix as well.

Learn to love the Penguin, install any Linux, and run any MS apps you may still need, under "WINE". A Windows API translation layer.

Or, install Xensource OS and run MS Winslows in a virtual PC environment.
But not VMWare under Windows. A virtual computer is only as secure as the host system. Don't virtualize under Windows.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #33
Greg

Yeah, maybe I should try Mozilla again. The only reason I don't use it as my main browser is that I'm used to IE.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:08 PM   #34
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

I was wondering if it was an "IE" thing!

I've (finally) made the switch to Firefox/Thunderbird & things have been smooth sailing, as far as InSim is concerned.

The only thing I miss is my IE sound effects...but not enough to go back!
Old 11-18-2007, 07:12 PM   #35
FredsG
Banned

Gee Whiz you guys...Hey there,Hello Shorty...thanks for the advice, now if you wouldn't mind expanding on it,...so are you saying i can get broad-band through any of the options phone or cable, or is it something special i have to purchase separately? i've heard of it, but have no clue on how to get it as for the other stuff, heard of all that too, but don't know if i should just make them my home-page or do you have to join them?...thanks for all your help...Greg, you really take the lonely out of Insim for me...
Old 11-18-2007, 11:22 PM   #36
Miros1
Goddess for Life

For "broadband dialup" aka DSL or cable, you need the appropriate modem. It's usually supplied by the provider. Although you can buy your own, this is one case where I recommend renting -- if it fries, the provider will just swap it for you. If you own, you gotta buy a new one and argue with the provider until they get tired of you and pay for it!

If you seriously look at DSL, consider the distance between your house and the telephone switching center. For best performance, you have to be within 2 miles of the switching center, as the phone line runs, not as the crow flies. Also, if you live in the butt end of nowhere, your switching center may still be analog, not digital. Let's not talk about how bad the service will be! Yes, the phone company will sell you service anywhere. Doesn't mean it's worth having!.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:44 AM   #37
FredsG
Banned

OMG Miros...LOL..i don't laugh very often, but you sure know how to tickle a funny bone!...yeah, i live right about where you mentioned...LOL...so are you saying that a cable line is just as helpless as a phone line in that case, or would a cable line be better...my ISP offers something that deals with faster service, but from what i could understand of it, it is only faster because it bundles past files and sites you use often in a memory type bank and spits them back quicker...not sure it would matter if a person was simply surfin... and about those other things like IE and...oohhh, wait, it seems my Dummy book might explain this a little...
Old 11-19-2007, 01:16 AM   #38
Miros1
Goddess for Life

DSL is broadband over phone line, sorry if I didn't make that clear.

Cable would be better than DSL or any kind of dialup.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:14 AM   #39
FredsG
Banned

okay, got it...thanks for that...just reading that dang ol' book again, i think the remainder of my night will be spent curled up with it...since talkin to ya'all i think i'm gettin a handle on some of this stuff.. i will certainly start checking into other ways, since i still can't get into the insim sites at all?... frustration abounds...
Old 11-19-2007, 02:26 AM   #40
shorty943
Banned

Sorry for the slight international naming difference. What we in Australia call "broadband internet" is DSL by any other name.

Always on, just open your web-browser and your surfing, using a "network router", rather than a modem. Your computer will use the "router" as its secret gateway to the world. And you can make it secret doorway. A router is a small dedicated computer, running a "non-Microsoft" system. You can tell it to "block all incoming" traffic. Nobody can see your computer at all.
This router, is usually provided, in Australia at least, by your ISP. The unit I use is just a retiree pensioner cheapy. It has 3 LAN network connections for computers, and 2 Voice over IP internet telephone connections. All able to connect and use the same DSL internet connection at the same time.
And because I live in a semi-remote region, with no land-line telephone, the whole lot runs through a secure tight-band radio link, to a local earth-station.

And as soon as I get the last bit of technology, to hook my old "nothing to plug it into" analogue telephone to the digital router, a thing called an "analogue telephone adapter", you can all give me a call on my "Nodephone" (copyrighted to Internode.com) number.