Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Default A Patching Query

(This is a question that popped into my head at 2 AM & is making me paranoid that I will need to reinstall my flipping game yet again! )

When I install an Official Patch is it only patching the EP/SP it is for or is it also patching things in the "base game" folder? Like, when I run the Seasons EP patch, is it just patching stuff under Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 Seasons or is it also trying to mess with stuff under the Program Files\EA Games\The Sims 2 Happy Holiday Edition (my base game) folder?

So, am I really patching my game properly if I run a given patch before I have converted the given EP/SP to be "Read Only" but with the base game (& previously installed EP/SP) files still set to be "Read Only" as I have been converting my files to be "Read Only" on a pack-by-pack basis just after running the needed patch(es) & never thought to convert everything back to "normal" when adding/patching a new EP/SP.

Thought I would double check this before I get to far into this latest reinstall. Everything seems fine with my game, but with all the (paranoid?) talk at InSim (& other sites) about "behind the scenes" damage when using incompatible hacks, this just got me worried that "seems fine" my not mean squat!

-ZW
Old 05-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Hokieman
Solar Max

ZW, remember how the install program works. First thing it does is to see if your program is patched and if it is, goes on to the install. I would think (guess) that it would only affect the previous EP if any. So if you have been keeping up on the patches prior to a new EP install, no problem.
Hokieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #3
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

My philosophy remains that "seems fine" means "it ain't broke, so don't fix it." I've learned not to pay attention to the doomsayers that foment drama on the fan boards. If there isn't a methodical anaysis of a failure with specific examples, I assume that it's just someone trying to pump up the drama level. This approach hasn't yet caused me any grief, while trying to react to the drama certainly has.

My understanding is that a game patch is supposed to patch whatever it needs to patch, no matter what version of the game it's supposed to be working on. EA also says that the order in which you install the patches does not matter, which indicates that the patches are all mutually compatible.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I do believe that each EP/SP keeps its stuff in its own folder. That means when Pets changed various base game items to allow the pets to sit on the couch, scratch the couch, etc. that the base game files were left alone and new copies of the changed objects were placed in the Pets folder. During load, the game loads the new copies of the objects and ignores the older ones with the same ID.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
Greg

That might be it. My guess is that the game first loads the old versions, and then replaces with newer versions as it finds them.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #6
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Or vice versa -- it loads the newest stuff then detects older stuff with the same GUID and ignores it.

I suspect you're right tho, because any two files with the same GUID end up with the "last one in alphabetical order" dominating.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #7
Zirconia Wolf
Reticulated MoonBat

Well, that's reassuring!

The "damage you can't see" chant is getting really thick, especially on InSim right now. This has always confused me, as it's been my experience that when something is haywire with a mod/download (or anything else), my computer is more than happy to tell me about it ASAP.

The "damage you can't see" folks are just so determined that I started to panic for a moment!

-ZW
Old 05-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I suspect the "damage you can't see" could be averted by ... making your files Read Only.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
Greg

Yup, if you're installing game hacks from untrustworthy sources, it would be a good idea to (a) make a backup of everything and (b) make critical files read-only. If not, then ignore the hoopla.

(That is, unless you tend to severely abuse your game like I do. Having 56 sims on the same lot is a Very Bad Idea.)