Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Downloads from Sun Sims Members > Clothing
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #1
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Default McCain-Palin Shirts & Hats

McCain-Palin Shirts & Hats

Please note: These are items that can be worn by little electronic people in the computer game, The Sims 2. If you are looking for things that can be worn by real people, go to the John McCain site and follow the link to "Store."

Credit: I pilfered the basic graphics from that site. The rest of the designs are what Crystal wanted.

By Special Request

Modeled by our very own Crystal and Coal Miner
The sims are unedited screen shots from The Sims 2 Body Shop.

Crystal wanted some specific campaign paraphernalia, and these were at the top of her list: Dark blue polo shirts with the campaign logo in specific sizes, and baseball caps--a blue cap for the ladies and a black cap for the gentlemen.

Warlokk's meshes defy almost all attempts at putting a graphic on the front, especially in Crystal's 34Dn size, so I had to compromise on the design of the women's shirt, but I think it turned out rather nicely despite that.

You need Warlokk's mesh for the female top. Get Warlokk's 34Dn mesh here if you don't already have it. The file you want is Bodyshape_34Dnat_Top_Separates.rar. Inside the RAR archive, the mesh you want is MESH_afTop_34Dn_PoloShirt.package.

The logo is on the back, too.

There are four separate files: 1 shirt for males and 1 shirt for females; and ditto for the hats.

The hats are actually hair styles; and they'll show up among the hair styles (blonde for women, brown hair for men) in your game and Body Shop. When they take off their hats to go swimming and whatnot, they have short hair, so these hair styles don't really reflect Crystal and Coal Miner's real hair.

The shirts are only in adult sizes but the hats include all age groups. Toddlers and children will not have the hats, but teens, young adults, adults, and elders will.

Other Sizes and Colors?

I have only made these items in the sizes requested; however, if someone would like a variation of the women's shirt in a different size or color, let me know and I'll give it a shot. I think I can make the women's shirt look like the men's shirt if I try this on a Maxis mesh, and there are some alpha meshes that might support it.

(The problem is the way the UV Map stretches pixels in the more interesting topological regions, so to speak. I'd try adapting the clothing to the standard Maxis mesh right now, but after working on these four things for 12 hours, I'm running out of steam at the moment.)

Other Campaign Paraphernalia?

The Western Pennsylvania Chili & Literary Society requested yard signs, banners, posters, and things like that as well.

Updated September 9, 2008: With expert help from Razamataz, the yard sign is here.

Fine print: Normally I don't allow politics on my sites and ask people not to even mention any politicians that haven't been dead for at least 100 years, but obviously I made an exception in this case. Nevertheless, this is neither license nor invitation for anyone to attempt political hate-mongering on my sites. As always, any posts or other behavior that are not in concert with our site's policies will be deleted without comment, explanation, or remorse.

Copyright ©2008 by Sun Sims, for the contributors. Derivative works are not permitted. In the case of these garments only (and again by special request), you may distribute these garments--only in their original zip files and unmodified--from other sites, if you provide credit to Sun Sims and link to http://www.sunsims.com/. You are welcome to use our images, too.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sun_sims_af_hat_hair_blonde_mccain_palin.zip (732.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: zip sun_sims_aftop_34dn_mccain_palin_01.zip (106.4 KB, 194 views)
File Type: zip sun_sims_am_hat_hair_brown_mccain_palin.zip (603.5 KB, 121 views)
File Type: zip sun_sims_amtop_mccain_palin_01.zip (318.8 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Greg : 09-08-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Added note about the yard sign.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
Coco
Loving Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
if someone would like a variation of the women's shirt in a different size or color, let me know and I'll give it a shot.
Yes, please!

I like the blue and you know my size!

I forgot to say that these are fantastic, Greg! I like the dark blue better than any of the clothes anybody has for real meat people. We're unanimous on that here.

Would it be hard to make the female hat with brown hair?

Proud member of the Western Pennsylvania Chili & Literary Society

Last edited by Coco : 09-07-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Coco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 02:52 AM   #3
Greg

OK, Coco, I'll add that one to my list. Sure, I can do the hat with brown hair, too. That should be fairly straightforward; it's just like making a new hair color.
Old 09-07-2008, 03:12 AM   #4
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Don't forget to bin the hairstyles!
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:21 AM   #5
Greg

This might be a good time to ask: How do I do that, and why would I want to?
Old 09-07-2008, 06:15 PM   #6
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Both those questions are answered in my huge "How to bin hair" tutorial. No newts or toads were harmed in the making of said tutorial.

Short version:
Why? Do it for the Sim-children, so they don't have to grow up and wear McCain/Palen hats for their entire lives! Instead, they'll have random styles of Black, Brown, or Blond hair. It's especially sad when their great grandchildren pop up with McCain/Palen hats...

How? Open them up with SimPE and change the color from Black (or whatever it is) to the correct color. I use the plug in, so I'm not 100% sure if you need to change anything else........

I have no idea why Maxis couldn't be bothered to put some radio buttons on and bin the darn things while you're making them....
Old 09-07-2008, 07:04 PM   #7
Greg

That makes sense. It would be silly for kids to show up wearing hats advertising a presidential campaign from 15 years before. On the other hand, it's very easy to change the character's appearance. On the third hand, I think the kids might still pass the hats on to their progeny for generations to come. By then, they would have become family heirlooms!

So: If anybody downloaded those hat-hairs, note that they are not binned, and see Rose's tutorial on how to do that.

I suspect that the guys at Maxis were thinking that people would want custom hair colors to be inherited. Adding in options requires more programming time; hence, cost, and there's no competition to drive them to excellence.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:13 AM   #8
Crystal
Addicted Anjafan

I never said thank you for these Greg so thank you!! I love them!!
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 03:22 AM   #9
Greg

You're welcome, Crystal!
Old 09-08-2008, 03:55 AM   #10
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
That makes sense. It would be silly for kids to show up wearing hats advertising a presidential campaign from 15 years before. On the other hand, it's very easy to change the character's appearance. On the third hand, I think the kids might still pass the hats on to their progeny for generations to come. By then, they would have become family heirlooms!

So: If anybody downloaded those hat-hairs, note that they are not binned, and see Rose's tutorial on how to do that.

I suspect that the guys at Maxis were thinking that people would want custom hair colors to be inherited. Adding in options requires more programming time; hence, cost, and there's no competition to drive them to excellence.
Yep, even if you change appearance at the mirror, the kids will inherit the gene for McCain/Palin hats! Getting rid of the gene then requires SimSurgery.

If I can stop playing Spore long enough (and hubby's not playing either), I'll bin them and post them. You can add links to "binned versions" to your post, or move them there or whatever...
Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #11
Greg

Thanks, Rose! That's a neat idea! If we can spread the fun around, that's all for the better!

I'm sitting here on another Monday morning, wondering how the weekend slipped away so quickly. On Friday nights, it seems like there's so much time to do fun stuff before I have to get back into my day job. Then comes Sunday night, and it seemed so short!

I'd recommend adding something like '_binned' at the end of the filenames so that people would know it's the same file, but the filenames are already getting pretty long.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #12
Greg

Afterthought: If someone wants to play with these--or any not-binned hair style--but not have them genetically inherited, the important thing would be not to create a sim wearing them.

F'rinstance, if you create an adult female sim with a binned hair style, you can later have her Change Appearance in the mirror to wear the hat. The hair style she will pass on to her progeny is the one she was created with.

That's an important thing to think about any time you create a sim. What they are created with is what gets into the gene pool in your game.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #13
Miros1
Goddess for Life

And sometimes, you need some chlorine in that gene pool!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #14
Greg

Especially when there are Maxian sims around. Instead of using hacks to fix that, I just fire up SimPE and copy the sim's edited appearance over the original.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:50 AM   #15
Bucket Brigade
Rising Sun

Thank for these things, Greg. They're great!
Bucket Brigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:55 AM   #16
Greg

Thank you for the nice words, Bucket Brigade. I'm glad you like them!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
Crystal
Addicted Anjafan

Hi Bucket!! You should start a welcome thread so everybody can welcome you!!
Crystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #18
Bucket Brigade
Rising Sun

Thank you, Crystal. I will do that!
Bucket Brigade is offline   Reply With Quote