Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #21
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Oh, and it does sound like Australians get as much entertainment from ocean-borne weather as we do up here in Hurricane Alley!

Is it safe to assume that the effects of these storms don't penetrate as far as the area we're talking about?

Um, ha, ha ,ha sorry. I'll be able to contain the chuckles soon.

Right. You have an idea where I am. We get monsoonal downpours during our summer, that originate as Cyclones from the Indian Ocean. They are patchy though.

IE, some years back, a group of us farmer types, were yarning over a beer in the local pub. Someone yelled, "would you look at this". We all strolled to the front window of the bar room, to watch a downpour, run straight up the white centreline marking of the main street. Not one drop of rain on our side of the centreline. And as we are all related to the Irish philosopher Murphy. Where were our vehicles parked, and, how many of us had closed our car windows?

RIGHT, FIRST TIME, BOTH TIMES.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #22
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

I've seen that same phenomenon happen around here. A thunderstorm will pass by, floating like a ship in the clouds. It rains like heck in the neighborhood next door but we get nary a drop.

In fact, for some reason, El Lago seems to be in something of a rain shadow. We do get lots of rain, but the big storms seem to like our neigbors to the north and south better.

Does it rain out there in the Great Sandy Desert during the moonsoon?
Old 06-27-2007, 11:51 PM   #23
shorty943
Banned

I think the best answer there is--- sometimes.

There are kids in junior primary school, out bush, who have never seen rain in their lives. No rain at all for 5, 6, or 7 years.
But, when it rains, it is tropical, torrential. The Todd River, runs through the centre of Alice springs, dry sandy bed for years on end, then out of nowhere, a 4 foot wall of water will rage down the river, and be dry again the next day.

From the early morning news, the east coast got a lashing again yesterday. Snow, snow in elevated, sub-tropical regions of New South Wales. 30 foot waves breaking over city beach breakwater walls. Victoria, our south eastern mainland state, had a dump of over 2 inches of rain yesterday afternoon, another 4 inches forecast for today, and the worst flooding in almost 20 years is to be expected in our south eastern farm lands this week.

But hey, it's winter time here, we sort of expect some rain. Over your way, it is summer time, and yet you are all getting winter weather patterns. What gives?

Who knocked the world on its side, and put as into a global winter weather pattern? And why?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 AM   #24
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Rain isn't our usual winter weather here. Ours is white and crystaline... except this year we got 2 or 3 tiny snowfalls in October through February, which melted by the next day, and storm after storm all through the month of March!

Of course, the city of Buffalo, about 75 miles from here, had a huge blizzard in October, which damaged every single tree due to the leaves still on the trees trapping more snow which weighed too much and broke the branches.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:50 AM   #25
Greg

That close the Great Lakes, you never know what might happen from one year to the next. Lake-effect snow is to New York as hurricanes are to the gulf coast. You never know when or where it's going to hit.

Last year our hurricane season didn't provide anything amusing, while just two years before that we had two major storms roar in from the Gulf of Mexico and catch Lousiana with its pants down.

Hey, remember the Storm Sisters?

Katrina and Rita Storm

The orginal Storm Sisters are gone now, just a distant memory like their namesakes. I made them after the first time I install Nightlife, and they were lost when I uninstalled it.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:53 AM   #26
Greg

Meanwhile, back in Houston, we're having typical summer weather here. It's absurdly hot and ridiculously humid.

Maybe Bruce Willis is right in his concern about global humidity!
Old 06-28-2007, 02:18 PM   #27
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
That close the Great Lakes, you never know what might happen from one year to the next. Lake-effect snow is to New York as hurricanes are to the gulf coast. You never know when or where it's going to hit.
We're far enough from the lakes we don't usually get lake effect unless it's a massive storm that swept across Canada from Siberia and recharged itself off the lakes.

Quote:
Hey, remember the Storm Sisters?
Yep! Is that download link still working, or should I find the zip I downloaded at the time for you?

I always meant to poke around inside their custom hair and figure out why it turned black when they were pregger...
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:04 PM   #28
Greg

Oh, right. Most the the lake effect snow goes toward the east more than south so it would have to work really hard to get to you.

Yes, if the Storms Sister's zip files are on The Pearl, then their download link should be work.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #29
homerette
Day late & a dollar short

Quote:
Meanwhile, back in Houston, we're having typical summer weather here. It's absurdly hot and ridiculously humid.

Maybe Bruce Willis is right in his concern about global humidity!
Here in VA, the heat of the sun boils away most of the humidity in the daytime, but at night it's practically bayou country in the backyard. Worst humidity at night we've had in quite a few years, but seems to be trending back to normal after several years of wonky weather.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:03 AM   #30
Greg

I remember only too well how humid it can get in Virginia, especially in Alexandria. We didn't have air conditioning back then, and many summer nights were unabated misery.

Moving to Illinois was a relief from that, though I remember some wretched nights in Peoria where I'd try to sleep with my pillow on the window sill, hoping a breeze would blow in the window.

All of which makes me wonder, considering how averse I am to heat and humidity, why the heck am I living in Houston?
Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 AM   #31
shorty943
Banned

She's wild and woolly on the south east coast. Gippsland region, east of Melbourne revised news. Google Earth, Lakes Entrance, Victoria, Australia. I think might show some thing, if some have it working, Mine don't seem to update very quickly.

Biggest deluge in almost 100 years happened in 2 days, 4 major river systems expected to peak 8 metre's above mean, major regional towns evacuated.
And this, after almost 8 years of drought. One major river weir wall, flood flow is 35 Gigalitres/day. Open all the flood gates, and start to wonder where we are going to put the extra 104 Gig of rain in 2 days. Let's see, 139, call it 140 X1,000,000 divide by(4.5 litre's/Imp Gal). Where the hell are we going to put close to 30 million gallons of water?
Just as well they are only little baby rivers, not the might Murray. We don't expect anything, until the snow melts, around November.
It's going to be a high river this year I think.

East coast, mid coast New South Wales, Newcastle north of Sydney. The storms 3 weeks ago, put a 40,000 ton bulk coal carrier, up onto the town beach.
She's still there.
So far 3 big Ocean Going salvage tugs have only broken their tow cables trying to pull "Pasha Bulker" back out off the beach.

But, nothing exiting ever seems to happen here, in the middle bit of the country.