Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2007, 06:19 AM   #81
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

What? Where? Do you mean my day job?

Back then, I needed to find a new job when the NASA IV&V facility failed to get funding to continue the research and development task I was working on. That got me to do some serious thinking about what I really wanted to do. I came up with five major criteria for where I wanted to be and what I wanted to do:
  1. In Houston
  2. At the Johnson Space Center
  3. Working on the Orion spacecraft
  4. Preferably for a major aerospace company
  5. And preferably in EVA*
There are a lot of things I would have been happy doing if I could just fill in three of the five stars--even working on offshore oil platforms in the petrochemical industry as a scientist or engineer--but after a considerable amount of effort and just plain being honest with folks about what I wanted to do, I ended up where I am now, working as the lead engineer for Lockheed Martin in EVA & Crew Survival Equipment on the Orion spacecraft at JSC.

Orion
Coming soon to a moon near you!

----------
*EVA = extravehicular activity. That is, spacewalking; when astronauts are working outside in their space suits.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #82
FredsG
Banned

I meant the office in your house...Probably looks just like mine...papers strewn everywhere, books on every subject imaginable...a veritable picnic place for anyone who wants to know anything...just plop down in the middle of the floor and research-research-research...nasty habit that comes from spending 27 years home-schooling 7 kids...I think a job in R&D in the Petro. Biz would be the coolest...get your very own lab to create future who knows what, and have it all paid for to boot!!! sigh...nothing wrong with the job you have so long as you can smile about it and laugh instead of cry....

Last edited by FredsG : 12-20-2007 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Umm...see following post
FredsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 06:41 AM   #83
Greg

Oh... yes, as a matter of fact, I do have an office at home. Maybe one of these years I'll clean it up and take a picture!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:43 AM   #84
FredsG
Banned

Old 12-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #85
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredsG View Post
<snip>it keeps telling me it wants a plug-in I'm denying it....<snip>
That's probably something in the ads. I get it from time to time as well.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 08:59 PM   #86
FredsG
Banned

wow...well, my apologies there Greg...mix, tired, prescriptions, a wee bit of something stronger than milk, and Indian blood, and one should keep ones fingers off the keyboard... ...note to self...stay out of here late in the a.m....Sorry... ...ummm...Miros, I didn't have that happen til I turned off that Plug-in. still can't seem to get Firefox to work right so I think i'm going to delete it and start over. I'll probably down-load it fresh and see if that helps. Thanks for all your help Peeps.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #87
shorty943
Banned

FredsG, you're First Nation?

Me too.
My paternal Grand Mother, was one of the Australian Aboriginals taken from family by a well meaning but un-educated (to our ways) government.
They are known here as the "Stolen Generations".
Taken from tribe and clan and family as children, and brought up and educated in mission schools.

Some managed to cope and "made it" in the new white world.
Most didn't. Most became messed up drunken confused hurt people.

Same old story, at least as the generations have progressed, most of us born from that, have been able to progress with it. And that I believe, was the intent, from the start. It's just sad some were hurt along the way. My Dad included, because his Mother, my Grand Mother, died when he was very young.
But, we all stand up, and offer the hand of friendship and help, no matter what, or where, or when, or why, and probably some other stuff too.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 10:49 PM   #88
FredsG
Banned

Yeah, I kinda figured we were related that way a while back, can't remember what thread it was on anymore...Cherokee and Blackfoot in everyone around here, mixed with full blood German (?) Poor hubby is a full blood Scots so you can well imagine the Red and Black braids flying around here at times...well, no, that was back when we were young and stubborn...kids seem to drain that outta ya right quick. ...but the movies don't lie, get us drunk and happy and you can take from us what you will, but get us drunk and ticked off.... hang on baby cuz you're bound to lose somethin in the fight... lol...geez the memories of younger days...sigh...
Old 12-21-2007, 01:10 AM   #89
Greg

Hmm... I'm Scottish on my father's side and mom's family is German. That might explain something.

On the other hand, I married a Swede, and we have never been the bickering sort of couple. That might explain even more!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:54 AM   #90
shorty943
Banned

Mother's side, English, C of E\German, Lutheran.

Father's side, Irish, Catholic\Aboriginal, secret mens stuff.

That makes me a, Catholic\Protestant\Caveman?, yep that'll do.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:06 AM   #91
FredsG
Banned

well, it's still early so's I can say nice things huh? Greg, a Swede...how do you whistle on the net? I'll bet your kids are awesome good-looking! Shorty, Cavemenses are just fine. without them, where would the rest of us be anyway? As for my kind, I think fightin' and stubborn is just in the blood for survivals sake, and it don't plan on going anywhere for a few more Gentile generations...and them Scots, well you all know their amazing fighting history...fascinating what they went through in that little ol' place...a strong lot of men they are...
Old 12-21-2007, 02:28 AM   #92
shorty943
Banned

Yep, we all have our good and lesser points.
One of my peoples frailties is "the grog".
It took me half a life time to recognise my alcoholic tendencies.

Like all of us, whose gene pools, never got used to the grog over generations.
It can have a problematic effect. It has been a wretched thing to my people, and still is.

Mind you, our "Pitchery" can break a white mans mind.
Herbal, native, smoked at ceremony.
Dreamtime stuff, old spirit awakening, not good for white non spiritual folks.

So, it's six of one, and a half a dozen of the other really.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:40 AM   #93
FredsG
Banned

Hehheh...I'm a big one for the White Sage purifying ceremonies, and that alone can be a smidge humorous to see for ones not used to it. I've found my body has never adapted well to modern pharmaceutical drugs, the herbal remedies always seem to do the trick...ah-hemmm...hence last nights run of the keyboard for poor Greg...can't be helped sometimes when they cut you open...the pain gets to much for even a grumpy ol' bear like me to take...man, these modern pain pills...WOOHOO...
Old 12-21-2007, 07:13 AM   #94
shorty943
Banned

Oh yes, been under the knife a couple of times.
Doctors have the bestest drugs.

We use a native sage to smudge and purify too.
The parallels are so many.
Our "dreamtime" stories, almost parallel Aesops fables.
Good, bad, karma, pay-back. Crime and punishment, all befitting.

The old men, who can "sing" in a storm impress me. Being that close to Mother Earth. That is strength. That, is knowing we are part of the planet and belong to it, not, the planet belonging to us.
That is what I aspire to. To be that close to Mother Earth.
She's really pretty, you know?

Oh, and I do love a good storm. I don't know why, but, when others are cowering from the thunder and lightning, I revel in it. Maybe it is the healing herself, the planet is doing. Ozone making especially, with electrical storms.
Old 12-21-2007, 11:33 AM   #95
Greg

Storms... that was one of the things I really liked about Houston when I first moved here after living in Seattle for seven years. Houston has weather; Seattle has climate.

Seattle is a beautiful city but it's like living in a still photo. I counted five thunderclaps in the seven years I lived there. In contrast, Houston has very lively, changeable weather with thunderstorms moving across the land like stately tall ships upon the sea. Really fun stuff!
Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #96
FredsG
Banned

That was an eloquent description Greg, for one who has never been to either place, I could understand perfectly by your writing. I kindof tortured my hubby for many years just to stay close to the nature of life...we lived in a pick-up truck camper for quite a long time...stayed in State Forest areas...only used 5 gallons of water a week, no power, no bathroom or shower...Finally relented 3 years back and bought this monstrous house (he deserves it...i guess ) and i'm hating every minute of it...i can never hear the rain, birds ,crickets, dew, fog, frogs...yes, Mother is a good thing...good news is! he just bought me a new pick-up with a camper on it - upgraded with bathroom, and promises me next summer i can fly again!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 07:33 PM   #97
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Maybe you could put a "sunspace" on your house next year.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:04 PM   #98
Greg

Yay! A new camper! I've spent a heck of a lot of time in the woods, especially in my younger days, but the only RV I've ever owned was the one I carried on my back.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:27 AM   #99
shorty943
Banned

That's why I live where I do, the birds morning song is my alarm clock, the cattle lowing gently to me as I feed them, the wind and rain on trees and the shed roof. Did I tell you? I live in a converted farm shed. I love it.

And I love my old British Land Rover, she sure ain't a comfy old girl, She's not fast by any stretch of the imagination, but, there is nowhere in the world a Land Rover has not been able to get to yet.
And that means a LONG way away from any thing remotely resembling a city.

And I like that too.

Edit.

Erm. We've done it again. We've gone and hijacked this thread again.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:02 AM   #100
Greg

Oh, no worries; I'm sure there will be other Insim mysteries to puzzle over as history unfolds before us.

In the mean time we can have fun doing whatever it is we do! At the moment I'm reminiscing about the three waterfalls that you pass on the Lake Dorothy trail in the North Cascades. It's a relatively easy trail with lots of scenery but my favorite spot is where mountain streams all come together and pour over a cliff into the same pool.

I've always been a city boy. Even when I was visiting my grandparents' farm, we slept at night in their house in the city. But I still fondly remember those days when every weekend I'd strap my house to my back and head for the hills!