Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 08:01 PM   #61
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

It really doesn't surprise me that a New York junior high school would have a political tract that glorifies a rich aristocrat on its required reading list.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 PM   #62
Miros1
Goddess for Life

As opposed to schools in Texas which probably require students to read about the glorious actions of George H.W. Bush in WWII?

The piece wasn't at all political, btw. More like your basic action/adventure plot. It got written and published because the commander just happened to be John Fitzgerald Kennedy, otherwise it very well could have been PT-162 (one of the other ships involved in the same battle).
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:19 PM   #63
Greg

Nope. No political tracts in Texas schools.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:54 PM   #64
shorty943
Banned

Huh?

Schools here are the most politically correct minefields around.
To an old fashion person such as myself, the modern education ideas here are a disaster.

People are mistakenly believing the US constitution, has weight here.
Your 1st amendment regarding civil rights has no equivalent in our constitution.
Our's sets out duty and obligation, and the benefits and entitlements that brings.

Are they politically correct? Or are they actually, way out of line?

Sorry, I am a bit miffed this morning.
Picture the scene. An invalid pensioner ex-serviceman, (me) loans a sum of money to some one. Now at the agreed maturity time they are claiming hard times and attempting to duck re-payment. Leaving me penniless.
Worse still I, in my old fashioned chivalrous way, now feel like Dick Dastardly, yep, it is a widow trying to use some emotive way to duck out on honour and integrity.

Any advice for a distraught penniless pensioner?
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:13 AM   #65
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Tell her you'll extend the loan, but the extra interest has to be paid in apple pie. This is an extention not a forgiveness, so she's gotta pay you back eventually!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:11 AM   #66
Greg

That's a rough situation to be in! I can sympathize with both sides of it, except for the implication that the debtor is trying to get out of repaying the debt. Darn. It's a little late to suggest not lending money that you can't afford to give away, because someone who needs to borrow money now because of hard times is likely to still be suffering from hard times when the note comes due.

I can't think of a good way to tell a friend that she ought to have the personal honor to at least intend to repay the debt even if she doesn't have the money now. Maybe the best approach is to remind her of the facts; that you were depending on her promise to repay the debt for your own livelihood. Turn the sympathy ploy around on itself.
Old 08-14-2007, 09:55 AM   #67
shorty943
Banned

I wish I could, I truly do, but I desperately need that several thousand dollars back.
Big problem is, I am in dire straights right now because of this.
Person concerned know this very well.
Odd, I was informed, by her, of a personal loan she had taken out, to repay others. No reassuring news for me though.

Bah, this has happened too many times to me now.
Just as well my Matilda is interstate at the moment. Yes, I own a WW2 Matilda Battle Tank.
Time for the man in the white linen suit I believe. Mr. Nice Guy, you stay home.

Last edited by shorty943 : 08-14-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #68
Greg

Yeah, it does sound like the classic situation where Mr. Nice Guy is being taken advantage of. Been there.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:42 AM   #69
shorty943
Banned

Well, stern reminders of honour and obligation have had some effect.

I at least have been given a vehicle, for the use off. And, there was a solemn promise of urgent action re taking out a loan to repay the debt.

Now we play the game I learned many years ago in Navy recruit school.

It's called "Hurry up and wait".
Old 08-17-2007, 08:28 AM   #70
Greg

Oh! Just like trying to find a job!
Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 AM   #71
shorty943
Banned

How is that going, mate?
Old 08-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #72
Greg

Not good. About an hour ago I found out that organizational politics are blocking me from being hired for the job I most wanted to do, best qualified for, and where the hiring manager and everyone in his organization really, really wanted me on board.

On the other hand, just yesterday I got a call telling me that I am being considered for a job that's even better!

Darn, I want to get off this rollercoaster and get to work on the Constellation program, and I hope I can do that before I'm totally bankrupt.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:34 PM   #73
shorty943
Banned

By all that is almost holy, we must report this injustice to the Goddess.

Wait a minute, a better job than Constellation? Go for power up on that?
Who needs to be intimidated, threatened, bribed into action?

It can be a bummer, when the thing you want, is not quite in reach yet. Or worse still, is that one singular person who puts a spanner in the works. It's happened to me more than once, purely one persons personal dislike, sorry fella we can't employ you because, blah blah blah.
Good luck Greg, if good wishes for others do any good, I'll think you into the position you want.

Due to circumstances I am trying to regain control of.
Now, I am driving a GM product. They don't feel like Ford. See Shorty shudder. It feels very remote, very insulated from the road, and it is very capable of speed too far in excess of the limit for safe driving. For the inexperienced.
I almost had to over run and turn about to take my turn off for home Thursday night. Engine smooth like baby butt, no road noise inside the vehicle. My turn off loomed in the headlights, backed off the throttle started to brake, glanced at Speedo, and pushed much harder on the brake pedal. I was nonchalantly zooming along, at over 100 MPH with out even realizing it. Stupid, stupid GM, you do not build and sell a vehicle like that to the ordinary barely competent public. I am a former national championship motor racer, not inexperienced, and that stock standard family station wagon is just too fast for the ordinary.

Last edited by shorty943 : 08-17-2007 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:51 PM   #74
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Secondary, once the new wears off, it will start to rattle and such and you'll know how fast you're going all the time.

I know people who've talked their way out of speeding tickets by saying it's a new car, I'm not used to it yet!
Old 08-18-2007, 02:28 AM   #75
Greg

Yup, if I get the other job I'll still be working on the Constellation program, but directly on the development of the flight hardware for the Orion spacecraft. For me, it's hard to imagine anything better than that!
Old 08-18-2007, 03:40 AM   #76
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
Yup, if I get the other job I'll still be working on the Constellation program, but directly on the development of the flight hardware for the Orion spacecraft. For me, it's hard to imagine anything better than that!
May the best Greg win

Gee you guys have been jabbering a lot while I was in London.
mikedelaney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:58 AM   #77
shorty943
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros1 View Post
Secondary, once the new wears off, it will start to rattle and such and you'll know how fast you're going all the time.

I know people who've talked their way out of speeding tickets by saying it's a new car, I'm not used to it yet!

It is not a new vehicle, about 3 or 4 years old. Fuel injected 3.8 litre V6, 4 speed auto gearbox, a loan car, to keep me mobile until the debt is repaid. But it is the newest vehicle I have driven. Not all that impressed with it. But, it is only a temporary loaner.

My whole hearted agreement with Mike, ( G-day mate, good to see your name in post again). May the best Greg win the day. If my amoral support helps, you got it.

Londinium? Last time I was there, it was "Her Maj's" silver jubilee.
Hell, I am getting older aren't I.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:33 PM   #78
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty943 View Post
Londinium? Last time I was there, it was "Her Maj's" silver jubilee.
Hell, I am getting older aren't I.
Well, they still don't have air conditioning in most of the buildings there. And when it gets humid it's like you just walked out of the shower and can't get dry.

I'll examine a couple of different routes before my next visit. Home - Dublin - Stansted - Liverpool Street - Kensington is a bit time consuming at 8 hours and involves a lot of lugging of bags (about 4 hours). For what it's worth, flight time is about 50 minutes. Security time 2 hours. Baggage reclaim 1 hour. Airline Ryanair, aircraft 737-800. Between the 4 different London airports and the 4 different (allegedly competing) carriers, there are about 25 - 30 flights per day to choose from.

England has had an appallingly bad summer, they've pretty much lost their harvest, Ireland faired a bit better but wont have much of a surplus for export. In both countries next years harvest wont be good even if we get a dry winter and good summer as the ground will take about a year to dry out.

We haven't had decent potatoes since I returned from the US in 2003. This worries my family, especially my mom, far more than it worries me. I'm actually happier with pasta or rice.

You can tell how bad it's been when you travel through the English countryside by train, the normally manicured railway banks are all overgrown. It rained so hard on Wednesday evening that I thought we might need to break out some RIBs. Especially since we were only about 100ft from the Thames.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 AM   #79
shorty943
Banned

Mike, it seems to me, the faster the world tries to travel, the longer it takes to get anywhere.

When it comes to the world weather, I give up. The US is either drowning or frying, England, most of Europe is the same. Here in Australia, we have just been through about 7 years of well below average rainfall, a lot of the country is still in drought. In my locality, the Mallee country of South Australia, it started raining on April 25th, we thought, you little beauty, the drought has broken. Bah humbug, it hasn't rained properly for over a month now, and all the ground is bone dry again. It is mid-winter here now, and we are getting small localised dust storms. No cloud cover, freezing cold nights and fogs and frost in the mornings, but no rain. We are a cereal growing region, not so good for our economy either.
It is just as well we are the leaders in dry land farming techniques. Other wise we would struggle for a piece of toast for breakfast.
I am surprised at an Irishman not much into taters, but, I have the same sentiments there.
BTW, about 5 or 6 generations ago, I have Irish Catholic convict descendence. I think that sounds right. Great granny O'Riley, dear old chook she was.

And now on a less happy subject.
The news from the Utah Coal mine is very sad. News last night is that the rescue effort has had to be abandoned because the mine collapsed again and killed three of the rescue team.
My heart goes to those affected. God loves those who perish trying to save others.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:12 AM   #80
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty943 View Post
I am surprised at an Irishman not much into taters, but, I have the same sentiments there.
Inability to get decent potatoes since my grandmother stopped growing them in the back yard in the 70s probably has a lot to do with that. And then there's the years I spent in the US and my general travels. I'm one of those people who will try most local foods at least once. I do draw the line at some other very un-anglo foods. But then I've never been in an eat it or die situation.