Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Help Desk
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM   #1
Sita
Solar Max

Question Anyone seen a good tutorial on sunken garages?

Something I've never done successfully is make a sunken garage... I have seen a tut on the EA Games site at http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/stor...ser_id=1964514
but that uses clicks to lower the ground so it slopes beneath the driveway. I can't do that... my clicks just don't seem to be accurate enough. I click once and it moves 1 click's worth, I click again and it moves 4. maybe my stiff hands or some setting, but it seems to be the same length of click each time...

So if anyone can point me to a tut... I thought there were some on TSR but they have disappeared or been shunted off to cyberlimbo somewhere.

Many thanks.
Sita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Could you use Greg's striped wallpaper to tell how far down you are?

MikeD also made a multiplex with sunken garages that's NL compatible. Check in my area!
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #3
Sita
Solar Max

well the stripy paper doesn't really help - I can SEE how many clicks up or down to go but it doesn't respond right... wonder if there is a mouse issue, or if it is just my slow fingers and slow brain.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
Miros1
Goddess for Life

I was thinking the paper would help, since if you overshoot, you could bring it back up.

MikeD also sez to put the floor on top of the foundation first.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
well the stripy paper doesn't really help - I can SEE how many clicks up or down to go but it doesn't respond right... wonder if there is a mouse issue, or if it is just my slow fingers and slow brain.
Sita, precisely what do you mean by "it doesn't respond right" ?

Just so you know, it took me quite some time to master the technique. Unfortunately I haven't been playing Sims2 for some months now, so I've forgotten a lot.

As for a tutorial, I think I used the one by Jonesi which is available from http://www.reflexsimsforum.com/showthread.php?t=963 registration required.

Last edited by mikedelaney16 : 05-22-2008 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added link for tutorial
mikedelaney16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
Sita
Solar Max

YAY!
Rose, once again you are a genius and my hero!
That comment, that Mike says to put the floor on top of the foundation....once I had put tiles on the ground BENEATH where the slope is to be, it will snap into place.

I'm play-building at the moment - ie not a download, and my Simmies have run out of money and have to earn more to get more of their dream house done. But so far they have a double basement garage and a room above - while living in a trailer on the lot. There are still things to deal with there, like they can't actually get into the garage to get to their cars to get to work.... but getting there! Many thanks!
Old 05-22-2008, 05:34 PM   #7
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sita View Post
once I had put tiles on the ground BENEATH where the slope is to be, it will snap into place.
lol

I did say "I haven't been playing Sims2 for some months now, so I've forgotten a lot."

Plus EA seem to keep changing stuff.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
Sita
Solar Max

"It doesn't respond right" - as in, I click once and it goes up by one click. Or three. or five. Seems to be random. So it is very difficult to do anything that needs precision.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 PM   #9
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

If you click and hold, the point you're hovering over will keep moving. I'm wondering if there's a setting that would slow that down, or maybe it's that your mouse's button has a failure mode that's causing it to send several clicks in rapid succession.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
mikedelaney16
Solar Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
If you click and hold, the point you're hovering over will keep moving. I'm wondering if there's a setting that would slow that down, or maybe it's that your mouse's button has a failure mode that's causing it to send several clicks in rapid succession.
Not sure if there's a ready made software solution for sticking. But for auto double-clicking there may be.

In Windows:
Control Panel -> Mouse
That opens the Mouse Properties dialogue
Under the Buttons tab, adjust Double-click speed

Automatic double clicking and or sticking is usually a failure mode indicating that the switch under the button needs to be cleaned. While you can sometimes do this, it doesn't always works, and with some mice the little slider pads on the bottom are hard to put back and the mouse never feels right again.

It's almost as annoying and possibly more dangerous that that ghastly "double-tap" feature on notebook touch pads.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:38 PM   #11
Sita
Solar Max

ok Mike, thanks
I knew I had seen this somewhere... do I set it to slow or fast? oh it is too late for me this evening. It was in the middle, I have set it to slow, since my fingers are slow.

Doesn't seem to stick or double click anywhere else though - other games or graphics etc.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:13 AM   #12
Greg

It would be set too fast, if that's the problem. There is a possibility that the operating system has a routine that filters out keyboard bounce but that somehow the building routine overrides it.
Old 05-25-2008, 02:37 AM   #13
Sita
Solar Max

Well I will try again. I am installing XP in the next few days, maybe that will sort it out... though I won't hold my breath. I tend to find workarounds rather.... hence the original question here
Old 05-25-2008, 03:59 AM   #14
Greg

It just might help! They've been putting debounce code in operating systems ever since the ol' TRS-80 Model I came out in 1977. It would make sense that newer generations would be able to do it better.