Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Default Keep us in your thoughts...

We've got a real mess on our hands. Eddie (my fiance) is currently in the hospital with complications from a nasty staph infection. A couple of weeks ago he had one on his upper arm and it got a little infected and had some cellulitis but we were able to take care of it at home. I don't know if this is a new infection or if the other one never really went away, just the symptoms, and now it's reappeared. This one started on his elbow and got progressively worse. The tactics we used to get rid of the other one didn't seem to work. His lower arm started swelling and a couple of nights ago (after feeling somewhat better) it just got even worse. We considered going to the doctor but I had a bad feeling and said, let's just go to the emergency room.

He is employed, but the company he works for is very careful about not hiring anyone full-time except for the manager and assistant manager. So as a part-time employee...no benefits. We have been talking about when to get married but just keep putting it off for whatever reason; not that we are having cold feet, just haven't gotten around to doing it. So he's not on my insurance yet.

I live in northwest Louisiana, about 45 minutes away from Shreveport. If I had been thinking clearly, I would have taken him to LSUS where the care would have been very cheap or free. Instead, I took him to a local hospital, the one my mom used to work at as a nurse. We went to the ER, they set him up with antibiotics, and deemed that he needed to check in and be seen by an orthopedic surgeon due to the infection being so close to the bone in the elbow. First thing out of the surgeon's mouth: "Are you going to be able to pay me for my time?" I know this is going to be difficult, but really, should that have been the first thing to think about? We were considering transferring to LSUS by this point, but it and the other state-funded hospitals were booked solid. Furthermore, the doctor scared us by saying it could be fatal if it spreads to his armpit/shoulder. So we decided that even if we could find a way to get into the other hospital, it would be best to finish out treatment here rather than have to start over and waste more time with the infection spreading.

We eventually get out of the ER and into a bed (took several hours). The surgeon checks on him before getting off, but apparently is worried enough about the infection that he checks in on him later last night, and takes him away to surgery to get drains put in. Short procedure, he's back in the room an hour and a half later doped up on Demerol. Today he's alert and complaining (which is a good sign for him).

I'm sure he's going to be fine. I'm glad we got him looked at before it got too serious. So my concern right now isn't centered on his health, it's more about the financial situation. This is going to be expensive because he's going to be in the hospital for a few days on strong (and expensive) antibiotics, and may need to go into surgery one more time depending on how things go with the drains. With no insurance and just now finding out he's not going to get Medicaid, I'm worried about how we're going to afford it. I just want to get him better right now, of course. We're getting him applied for an assitance program the hospital offers, and also with a payment plan that promises to discount the bill at least 30% and works similar to a credit card, complete with interest and late fees. His dad knows about it and has told us to let him know if we need anything (which I'm assuming he meant financially). I just wanted to let everyone here know what was going on and am asking for whatever prayers, positive energy, whatever your belief system entails because I believe it all comes from the same source, for both a speedy and complete recovery for him, and for some relief on the financial side.

sorry this got so long and sorry if it bums you all out or whatever, but just needing all the support I can get from all my friends, real life and internet.
Kaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #2
shorty943
Banned

You've got it, truckie. My best wishes for Eddie's good and speedy recovery, Have the very best of Christmas's and New Year, Kaylin.

Take a look here,http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...&search=Search it might take your mind on a trip.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
Miros1
Goddess for Life

OMG! Infections are nothing to mess with, hope he gets better fast!

Update: hubby's foot and A1C (bad hemoglobin) are great, but he's got kidney problems and retinopathy and edema and I don't remember whatall.

Last edited by Miros1 : 12-19-2007 at 11:07 PM.
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #4
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Good Lord! I'm sorry to hear that, Kaylyn! It's good that you got Eddie to a doctor when you did; not so good that medical treatment is so mind-bogglingly expensive these days.
St. Peter, don't you call me 'cause I can't go!
I owe my soul to the... Eh? ... doctor?
Old 12-20-2007, 10:49 PM   #5
Sita
Solar Max

Eek Kaylynn. Infections are evil! Glad you got him some treatment. And I'm sure you'll figure out some way to deal with the situation. Health HAS to come first. Good thoughts and prayers for you and Eddie coming your way.
Sita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 06:20 PM   #6
Zenmistress
Solar Max

I hope Eddie is continuing to progress, Kaylynn. Sorry to hear that you're going through such a rough patch. Am sending positive thoughts your way - wish I could do more.

Take care of yourself so you can take care of him.

Hope Eddie is home for the holidays.
Zenmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Kaylyn
Rescuer of Kittens

Ok, an update. He's out of the hospital and recuperating at home. They made 5 incisions and put in some drains (6 I think) and took them out a couple of days later. They left the incisions open, so now he has the joy of getting them repacked every night at home. Thank God his mom went to nursing school and is not squeamish about it...I couldn't do it if it was up to me. I only dared to sneak a peek just last night and had to distract myself so I wouldn't look any more. I can handle gorey stuff on TV and in pictures, but when it's on someone I love I get ill, like I can feel it with them.

He is supposed to see the doctor Wednesday and get word on how well he's healing, and hopefully he can figure out when he's going to be able to go back to work. I'm thinking he might need physical therapy because his entire left arm is bandaged from wrist to shoulder and he can't move it because the largest incision is across the elbow (I'm picturing a mouth opening and closing if he bends his arm). I think the surgeon cut through a nerve because he says he has no feeling in the elbow, which is actually kind of a good thing because it doesn't bother him to get it packed.

Well, at least he made it home in time for Christmas...now I have to wrap his present before he wakes up for more antibiotics. I'll get back to story-writing soon enough, I'm trying to get us moved into a larger room in the house, but there's a lot of junk in there that needs to be cleaned out first. So be patient...the next chapter will introduce the Crumplebottoms of Pleasantview.
Kaylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Grin, when he gets crabby and you get peeved, you'll be packing those incisions like a pro! It's especially fun when he screams because it hurts. Iodine is even more fun, but they seem to want to minimize that for some reason.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:24 AM   #9
Greg

You have a really deviant mind, Rose!
Old 12-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
Miros1
Goddess for Life

It took you six years to figure that out?
Old 12-26-2007, 12:37 AM   #11
Greg

I had to wait for the special commission report.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:51 AM   #12
Miros1
Goddess for Life

The Special Commission Report on Wound Packing?
Old 12-26-2007, 01:20 AM   #13
Greg

The President's Commission On Deviant Minds In Upstate New York.

It's so large that it takes six years to read it!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:29 AM   #14
shorty943
Banned

Good to hear Eddy is getting better Kaylyn.

If Rosie's Iodine can't get a yelp out of him.
Try an older medicine known as "Friar's Balsam". All natural.
Your doctor or pharmacist may know of it, it is a very good healer.
With a hell of a bite. Application will make your eyes water.
I swear by it on the farm. Can't always get to a doctor, best first aid must be used.
That'll let you know if he can feel it or not. Friar's Balsam can bite.
shorty943 is offline   Reply With Quote