Sun Sims  

Please help us pay the bills.        

Go Back   Sun Sims Forums > Sun Sims Community > Open Forum
FAQ Donate Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2007, 07:42 AM   #1
Greg
Da Guy Wut Owns Dis Joint

Grilled Cheese Grilled Cheese

I just love grilled cheese sandwiches! I had a really great one tonight. I started with two pieces of day-old white bread and buttered all four sides, with real butter, being really careful to spread the butter perfectly thin and all the way to the edges of the bread! Then I put one slice of American cheese on one piece of bread and piled shredded cheddar on the other.

My frying pan was already hot, with the range set at medium heat. It only took a minute to get the cheese melted and the bread grilled to a beautiful shade of golden brown. I had a fresh pot of real freshly ground Kona coffee ready, so then I settled down to enjoy my grilled cheese sandwich and my Kona coffee.

Oh, it was wonderful! The creamy cheese contrasts so nicely with the toasty, crunchy texture of the bread, redolent with the aroma of the butter. The cheddar added just the right woodsy, nutty character to the flavor and leaves a slightly salty taste that lingers on your palate even after the grilled cheese is sadly gone, leaving a memory of the rapture of it all.

Now, who else has some great grilled cheese experiences to share? I want to hear about it!
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Lol, when Gregsim is back online, I'll have to put him in my game as a Grilled Cheese Sim!
Miros1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
Greg

Hooray! I wanna hear GRILLED CHEESE stories!

Addendum: Gregsim's download topic at the Hullabaloo does work.

Last edited by Greg : 06-22-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Greg

Hmmm... I wonder why my signature isn't showing up.

Maybe this somehow relates to grilled cheese.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Oh, cool! I'll have to download him...

Grilled Cheese Sim stories aren't that good. Grilled Cheese Sims live to make grilled cheese, eat grilled cheese, and stuff other people with grilled cheese. The wife of my last Grilled Cheese Sim started cheating on him because it was the only way she could get any WooHoo. I'm serious, she'd relax on the bed and Chester would hop back out to go make more grilled cheese! She had kids with the repair guy, the headmaster, and the mailman, and Chester was a better parent to them than she was. Guess he knew they'd grow up and he could stuff them with grilled cheese!
Old 06-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #6
Greg

But did Chester make good grilled cheese?
Old 06-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #7
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Lol, I never saw a burned platter of 'em and Chelsea and the kids never complained about the quality... the quantity, yes, the quality, no!

One time Chelsea made quiche just for a change from grilled cheese...
Old 06-22-2007, 10:53 PM   #8
Greg

Quiche? Egad! Think of all the time she wasted when she could have been perfecting her skill at making Grilled Cheese!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:07 PM   #9
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Lol, I think she couldn't face another sandwich!
Old 06-23-2007, 02:26 PM   #10
Greg

Chelsea's personal problems aside, what I'm really wondering about this morning is whether butter or sunflower oil is the best thing to use to make the perfect grilled cheese!
Old 06-23-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Hm, that's a toughie. I think softened butter. Wouldn't the bread absorb too much oil? Or do you have one of those oil sprayer gizmos?

Now you've got me visualizing a Mediterranean grilled cheese... artisan bread, olive oil, and crumbled feta!

Time to make good ol' standard Velveeta grilled cheese for lunch anyhow...
Old 06-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
Greg

Oh! I've never tried an oil sprayer! Just the thing to to my growing collection of kitchen implements for making grilled cheese!

Hmmm... now I'm wondering if a two-side grill would significantly increase the production rate for grilled cheese.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:33 PM   #13
Miros1
Goddess for Life

If you mean one of those thingies that fold over and clamp shut and kind of crimp the edges of the bread together, I don't like cheese sandwiches made that way very well. Maybe I put too much cheese on, but they always leak, which is not a good thing when you're talking about molten cheese.

I make my sandwiches under the broiler; you can make up to 8 at a time depending on the size of your broiler pan or cookie sheet.

A stovetop or electric griddle might work nicely too... the fried effect of a frying pan, the higher volume of the broiler method.

Another thing that's yummy is to put Miracle Whip or mayo on the outside of the sandwich. I usually make them in the frying pan when I do that.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:06 AM   #14
Greg

Do broiled cheese sandwiches count as grilled cheese sandwiches? We clearly need a National Council on Grilled Cheese Authenticity to rule on this.

I never would have thought of using mayonnaise, but mayonnaise is just oil and egg yolks, so it ought to work! Does it turn out something like French-fried grilled cheese?
Old 06-24-2007, 12:51 AM   #15
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Lol, I think my family usually refers to broiled sandwiches as "toasted cheese sandwiches" but I hate the nuisance of making them in a frying pan one at a time. Actually, I like eating 2 or 3 of them, so higher volume production methods are necessary!

The mayo does change the surface appearance a bit and the taste a little, but I put it on pretty thin, so it doesn't soak in enough to give a "French toast" effect. You do have to watch very carefully or they'll burn.

Speaking of French toast, I used to make quasi-Monte Cristo cheese sandwiches. Make two slices of French toast, and when you flip to the second side, put a slice of cheese on one slice of bread. When the second side is done (and the cheese soft), assemble your sandwich. This was definitely a frying pan method.
Old 06-24-2007, 07:07 AM   #16
homerette
Day late & a dollar short

I have one of those lovely Griddler thingies, that makes paninis and can be a griddle too, that works so well for grilled cheese and so much more. I could go on for days, or at least paragraphs, about how much I love that sucker. Four grilled cheese at a time, faboo!

I love fresh basil on mine, and never American cheese. Have you ever tried one with smoked mozz? Divine!

Butter makes that lovely salty bite on the outside, but Miracle Whip truly does add that zip.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #17
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Dang, I don't have room here for another gadget! Got a link for that thing?
Old 06-24-2007, 07:23 PM   #18
homerette
Day late & a dollar short

Here's the product info, from the retailer I frequented for my purchase. It's a pretty penny, but I can say it has paid for itself, and I've yet to even use the flat griddle plates and I've had it for about a year! It does nothing you can't do in a pan, but it is pretty compact and replaces things like griddles and grill plates.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:59 PM   #19
Miros1
Goddess for Life

Oh, that would make wonderful Cubans...
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 AM   #20
Greg

And you could seriously mass-produce grilled cheese with one of those!

I've never thought of trying to make grilled cheese with smoked mozzarella! That does sound good! Besides, nowadays every time I hear the word mozzarella, it reminds me of how Giada di Laurentis says it with her Italian lilt, which reminds me of Giada di Laurentis, which is a good thing all by itself!

I'll have to try using Miracle Whip, too! Is Miracle Whip better than mayonnaise?